Friday 26 April 2013

A Quick Trip to the Allotment

The other afternoon I cycled down to the allotment to check on the sowing I'd done a few weeks ago and make sure all was in order prior to committee inspections at the weekend.  I've been so busy this month that I haven't made many visits.

When I got there it was looking a bit dry.  A few things had germinated, namely some mustard for salad leaves (to the left of the hollyhocks),


some radish and carrots,


and a few beetroot and spring onions.  There were some notable non-germinations of sweet peas, spinach and parsnips.



Some of the lettuce had germinated but not in the numbers that they usually do.

The rhubarb was doing well though.


As were the broad beans with plenty of flowers on them.  The potatoes were starting to come through, which you can't see from the photos, but this was encouraging as they had gone in the ground when it was still quite cold.

 
The artichokes and lettuces were coming along well too and the forget-me-knots had gone mad.  It's a pity I don't eat them.
 
 


I weeded a little, watered the plot, started to make some plant feed putting some comfrey leaves and nettles in a lidded plastic bucket to break down and then came home.  I'm hoping enough has been done to keep the committee happy.  I await the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment