Friday 12 April 2024

Garden Renovation Progress

It's been a few weeks since I posted that we were renovating our garden this year and things are now progressing quite well. OH has been working hard this week on the new fence and it's almost finished, but he ran out of screws, so I thought I'd post his progress.

After a horrible night at work on Thursday night, I didn't want to do anything on Friday morning. I dragged myself out of bed and sat in the garden with a cup of tea. I needed to clear my head. Of course, once you get out there, you can't help yourself, so I pottered awhile, took some photos, pruned and primped plants here and there, sewed some seeds and planted some corms/tubers. 

Thank goodness for gardening, it's so therapeutic. I forget how relaxing it is, when I don't do any over the winter. I can't wait to work on the garden once the more structural renovation work of fences and border edges have been completed.

Anyway, here's the progress OH has made:



There's a couple of gaps to complete, mainly behind the cherry tree which is too close to the neighbours fence to build the fence behind it. OH will have to build around it, which is a little more complicated. He's doing a good job and they are looking great. 

The fence panels at the end of the garden won't be seen once the new shed is put up, so OH didn't build that stretch and just used the same panels that the neighbour used for the fence on other side of the garden.

Talking of the cherry tree, here's picture of it in full blossom this spring, it's glorious:


It needs a good prune, but we didn't have the heart when it was loaded with buds.  We'll prune it back significantly after it has fruited.

To give me something to look forward to over the next few weeks, I planted one of the dahlia tubers I'd bought from Lidl into a wooden box. It should have plenty of room to grow here. I added some calendula and nasturtium around it, but I'm not sure if they will germinate, as the seeds were quite old, we'll see. If it gets a bit congested, I can always transplant some of them elsewhere.


I then swept up a bit and planted some anenome corms into a pot. I bought them reduced in Poundland and thought I might as well give them a go and try to add some colour to the garden. I can't wait to see if they grow now.


It made me feel a bit better to get out there and do something positive. I'm on a 6 day stretch at work and tonight is my last night before a break. I can't wait. It's been too much this week.

I'll post again when there's more progress in the garden.

4 comments:

  1. Nothing beats time outside in your garden, even any evening aches are worth it, so nice to have sunny warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both have been busy, a new fence makes such a good difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is looking wonderful & that cherry blossom is so pretty! I hope the dahlia tubers do well for you. We are going into autumn here in New Zealand & its Leaves Everywhere at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, thank you for dropping by and leaving such a kind comment. I imagine it's very beautiful in New Zealand in the Autumn.

      Delete