Wednesday 26 April 2023

Enjoying the Simple Things - Part One

Inspired by a recent article I read, in which the author listed 30 simple things that she enjoyed, I thought I'd create my own version. I'm going to do it over a few posts, so here goes with the first 10 simple things that I enjoy (in no particular order):

  1. Walking my dog - It's my daily chance to get out into the fresh air, get a little exercise and devote some time to my dog, because I love her and who knows how much longer she'll be with us. I try to enjoy this every day. For her, it's one of her most enjoyable parts of the day, so the least I can do is to try to enjoy it with her and we enjoy it more when we can take our time and go as slowly as she wants to go.
  2. Writing my journal and completing an entry in my grateful blessings journal every day. I started this before I left my last job, where I'd worked for 5 years. It helped me get through a difficult time and still helps me now. Taking the time to sit down and complete the day's entries  helps me feel calmer, more relaxed and most of all grateful for all the blessings I do have in my life.
  3. Caring for my houseplants - I've got rather a lot of these now and they can take some watering. I'm not the most fastidious plant carer, and I've been known to lose a few, but I do enjoy tending my plants, potting them on when needed and nurturing their little babies.
  4. Spending time as a family - Whether we go out to eat/shop or holiday together, or just hang around the house all doing our respective thing, it is just lovely to all be together. Since LB went off to University, the time we have to do this has been reduced, which makes it all the more special.
  5. Pottering - I love to potter. I can happily potter all day, everyday. It's definitely my favourite hobby. Who says we have to go through life at full speed. Pottering is the business, whether it be picking up around the house, watering plants, putting away laundry - it's good for the soul.
  6. Reading - After a bit of a hiatus from reading, I've found that I've been able to pick up the odd book and read again. It's like being reunited with an old friend. I've enjoyed reading my whole life. In recent months, when I didn't feel motivated to read at all, it was like losing something precious. I'm so glad to be reunited with the ability to dive nose first into a good book and escape the madness.
  7. Voluntary Work - There's something about giving something of yourself and not wanting anything in return. It offers you a kind of freedom from expectation and disappointment, that you don't get in a lot of other situations or even relationships. I can go to my volunteering sessions, do what I'm asked to do with a giving heart and come away feeling like I've contributed something. 
  8. Lighting a Candle - Just the small act of lighting a candle gives me joy, especially if it is a beautiful smelling one. It's like an act of self care. Adding light to the world feels like doing something positive. I try to do it every day, whether it's a tea light or a scented candle.
  9. Exercising - I've exercised regularly almost my entire life, save for a period when I was pregnant with LB and she was a baby/toddler and I didn't have anyone to look after her whilst I went to the gym (she never liked creches). It may have just been one class a week at times, or there have been times when I've done 4 or 5 classes per week, but I've always done it and enjoyed it. In the last six months, I've hardly done anything. I just didn't have the motivation to go to the gym on my days off, I wanted to spend my time at home. I'm looking forward to getting back to the gym now that I'm not working. I feel like mentally I've missed it so much. It always clears away any cobwebs that might be lurking in my mind.
  10. Making Jam/Preserves - There's something so satisfying about making jam or preserving vegetables or fruit, especially if you've grown them yourself or foraged them in the wild, and even if you've bought them specially. Indeed, I made so much jam last summer, that I still have 5 jars in the fridge waiting to be eaten and fruit in the freezer waiting to be made into jam. It's a simple thing, but it brings me joy.

1 comment:

  1. It's a good start to your list and almost everything is about slowing your life down and enjoying the moment.

    ReplyDelete