Monday 17 April 2023

A Few Days Away

Thursday, marked the first day of my being unemployed again. I may not have a job any longer, but I still had to be up at 7am and off to my volunteering session as usual.  I took the bus again and there was just myself and one other volunteer there today, so we got to do some different things.

The session passed quite quickly and I headed home. I had some lunch when I got in and then started to get packed, as OH and I were heading off to Yorkshire to visit family for a couple of nights. I was looking forward to getting out of London again, as it is always good for blowing away the cobwebs and I usually come back feeling refreshed.

Before we left, I had to drop into the doctors surgery for a blood test. Thankfully, my toothache seems to have subsided altogether, but I still got the test done, as it was also to monitor my thyroid amongst other things.

Our journey up to Yorkshire was long, as there was a bit of traffic. We got there eventually though and visited OH's parents for a couple of hours before heading to our accommodation, which was a converted stable block in the grounds of a pub in a lovely local village. We went into the pub for a drink, where there was a quiz night on, before turning in for the night.

The room was nice, but I didn't sleep well for some reason. The next morning we returned to the pub for breakfast and then took the dog for a walk at a local beauty spot which was lovely. We then returned to OH's parents for most of the day, so that OH could help them with some jobs. 

Whilst he was doing that, I decided to do my usual visit to Boyes for a few bits that we needed and I ended up treating myself to quite a bit of makeup, as they have a really good selection of W7 makeup which I like. It will keep me stocked up for quite a while.

Later, OH and I headed out to take some items to the rubbish tip for his parents. Whilst there, we took a look around the Tip Shop, where items recovered from landfill are sold to the public. It was interesting to look around, but I didn't find anything to buy this visit. It will probably become a regular haunt though, now I've discovered it is there.


I also popped to a couple of charity shops, but only found one item to buy, i.e. this book of soup recipes, which should be really useful for both OH and I when using his new soup maker, as it has some great recipes in it. It only cost £1.

On Friday evening, we met up with my sister and her daughter at the pub we were staying at. There was live music from a band, which was good, although it was very loud and we could hardly hear ourselves speak.  We managed a good catch up though.

On Saturday morning, we had breakfast and then packed up and left. OH walked the dog and we paid a last visit to his parents before setting off for home.

On the way home, we stopped off at Newark Showground, as there was a Rock, Gem and Beads Show, that I was interested in visiting. I had a good look around and treated myself to a few small items, one of which was this beautiful ammonite. I love it.


We then continued on our journey back to London. It was good to get home after a busy few days visiting. I did some food shopping at Lidl when we got back, as we had very little food in the house, and OH was using the car the next day to go to a cycling event. I managed to save £5 off my shop with a coupon they'd sent me. 

After allowing myself quite a spendy weekend in Yorkshire, I now need to seriously start being a bit more frugal.This weekend was a final splurge before I really knuckle down again.

On Sunday, I had a totally free day to do as I pleased. OH was out for most of the day, so I had the house to myself. All I needed to do was walk the dog, unpack, do some laundry and get back to normal after our few days away.

There were a few housework jobs to do, such as washing up, washing vegetables, etc.  I salvaged what  flowers I could from those I'd bought at Easter, so that they would last a little longer. The remaining ones look pretty on the kitchen table and should continue to do so for a little while yet.


The rest of Sunday was spent pottering and just settling back into life in London,  We watched Race Across the World tonight, following the teams competing to cross Canada.  They were in Saskatchewan tonight, which was interesting. I thought of you Jackie. OH has travelled quite a bit in Canada and enjoys the show too. I'd love to go some day.

I hope everyone had a lovely weekend.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah for my province!!!

    It sounds like you had a lovely visit with OH's parents and are winding down from your job.

    God bless.


    ReplyDelete