Wednesday 12 April 2023

Easter Weekend and Beyond

After working Good Friday and Easter Saturday, it was wonderful to have three consequetive days off work ahead of me over the rest of the Easter Weekend and I was determined to enjoy them.

On Easter Sunday it was lovely and sunny, OH spent some time out in the garden, whilst I made some Easter chocolate crispy cakes and prepared a roast dinner for us all. I rarely make a roast dinner, just Christmas Day and Easter Sunday. We all sat down to a nice lunch of lamb with all the trimmings and then exchanged Easter eggs.

LB headed back to Halls in the afternoon, as she had something planned for the following day and she was back at Uni on Tuesday. I was able to just chill, watch TV and do some laundry. I sorted out some clothes that LB was throwing out and managed to find myself a few items to keep for myself. The rest will either go for recycling or to the charity shop. 

OH bathed the dog, as she was a bit smelly and then walked her, so I didn't even need to do that today, so I had a very lazy day. We watched some TV in the evening, so nothing out of the ordinary.

On Easter Monday, I had a super long lie in. It was raining and OH took the dog out. I haven't had such a long lie in for I don't know how long. OH even brought me breakfast in bed, which was a rare treat indeed. I did apply for a couple of jobs whilst lying in, but I'm not sure if I'll even get an interview for those, as the assessment was really tricky and I'm not sure I performed well. Gone are the days when employers were just looking for someone to be reliable, work hard and do a good job. Now they need to dissect your personality and see if you are a good fit for their corporate values.

Anyway, I eventually got up and we had bacon sandwiches for lunch. I did more laundry, but little else. It's nice not to feel compelled to do anything much. It feels like I've had so little down time this last six months. I'm making up for lost time.

I've been thinking about what life will be like without a job again. I learnt a lot last time I left a job. I learned to exist on very little money and do without things I couldn't afford, so I'm ready to do the same again. To be honest, this time around I'm a little more prepared and have a little money left over to live off for the next few months and Christmas is a long way off, so there is less pressure to earn money for the immediate future. 

I would like another job at some point, but I only want to work a couple of days a week if possible this time around and I'm not prepared to overcommit to anything anymore. I could manage on the money from 12 or so hours per week and still have plenty of time for doing other things that I want to do.

At my age, I need very little materially. I'm not high maintenance in any way, I don't enjoy shopping as a hobby, I've got plenty of hobbies to participate in and craft supplies to use that will cost me nothing and I've got ways to exercise that cost very little too, should I see fit. What more do I need. I don't need fancy clothes, because I don't go anywhere special enough to merit wearing them. I just need enough to get by and have a reason to get out of bed in the morning a couple of days a week, as I find that if I have a bit of structure to my life I function better all round.

Tuesday, was another quiet day at home. I took the dog out first thing and we had a good walk. Later, I retired to bed for a couple of hours to sleep and read, as I hadn't slept well the night before. I think it's all part of me winding down from a very overstimulating job. I've realised in recent months, that I'm a bit (maybe even a lot) of an introvert and too much stimulation exhausts me. It's something to bear in mind when looking for my next job.

On Wednesday night, I worked my last shift at my current job. It wasn't too busy, so it was a nice way to leave. It was quite relaxed and low key. Lots of people didn't even know I was leaving. I bought a few last bits for the house, using my staff discount and then handed back the card as I left. I just need to take my uniforms back next week once I've laundered them and I'm done. 

I feel relieved. Having three days off before my final shift, really allowed me to detach from everything, so working my last shift was just a formality. I don't have any regrets about leaving this job. I did what was right for me at this point in time. Who knows what the future holds, I'm just ready to move on and embrace the new.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice relaxed Easter and now you have left your job you can concentrate on shaping your next few months with or without a job. Finding a job that suits is hard but I think you have done the right thing leaving this one. Like you I find I need my space after a while just to be quiet and calm from all the busyness - just venturing into town these days is enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sentence starting with 'at my age', resounded through me, I could have written your words, I do think I have said similar words. Enjoy winding down and relaxing, it a better way of life. I don't miss work at all,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take your time and find something tha suits you to a "T". Relax and do the things you enjoy for a bit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete