Sunday 18 September 2022

This Week - Week Ending 17/09/2022

This week has been pretty busy. It started with a weekend away to South Wales, where OH was competing at an indoor cycling event at the International Velodrome of Wales in Newport.

We travelled up on Saturday morning, had a look around the town and then made our way to the Velodrome for OH to register and warm up for his race. As dogs weren't allowed in the Velodrome, and it was too warm to leave the dog in the car for any length of time, I stayed outside with the dog. I'd taken some patchwork with me, so we sat on the grass in the sunshine and I did that and then we had a little walk around.  I did go inside to watch his race when the time came though. 

Once his race was over, we headed back to the hotel. There was a lovely pub next door, so we had supper there which was a treat. I had a lovely vegetarian curry.

On Sunday, we got up and had a hotel breakfast. OH was competing again, but I didn't want to hang around this time, so I Googled local car boot sales and the dog and I headed off to one. It was about a half hour drive away. We had a nice morning walking around the stalls. I didn't buy much, as I didn't see much that I needed or wanted, but it was a good way to pass the time and the drive was quite scenic.

When we got back, it wasn't long before OH's race, so it wasn't long until OH was finished and ready to leave.  Both journeys were uneventful and there wasn't too much traffic, so we were pretty lucky really.

On Monday, it was back to normal and the weekly food shop. I also needed to post off another online sale from the weekend. I was quite tired after the weekend, so I didn't do a lot else for the rest of the day, just a bit of unpacking and laundry and that was it.

I had an appointment on Tuesday for a Mammogram at a local mobile screening unit. I hadn't had one for a couple of years, so it was good to get it done again, especially with my family history. It went okay, but I'd forgotten quite how uncomfortable it was. The appointment clashed with my usual Aerobics class at the gym, so I wasn't able to make it to that this week.  

I made up for missing my Tuesday class on Wednesday, when the New Age Games free classes started up again and I could return to the Soca Aerobics class. I cycled there, which gave me a bit more exercise, as it was at a leisure centre a bit further away than my local one.

In the afternoon, I watched the procession of the Queen's coffin to Westminster Hall on TV and then later worked on making a curtain for the sewing room (more in another post).

On Thursday, I had to be out early with the dog, as I was expecting a parcel delivery and OH was out.  When I got back I made a curtain for the kitchen patio doors to keep draughts out this winter and provide a bit of privacy too. Whilst I had the sewing machine out, I also finished a lap quilt that I'd started earlier this year, so it felt like a pretty productive day.

The parcel delivery was an ingredient for another natural remedy that I plan to make in the near future. I'll post about this when I make it. I have to do some prep first before I can proceed.

On Friday, I spent the morning doing some preparation of items to sell online. There is so much that I need to list, but I just haven't been feeling motivated lately. Anyway, in the afternoon, I spent a couple of hours ironing clothing and fabric that needs listing and then photographing some items. I really need to spend this Bank Holiday weekend, knuckling down and getting things listed.

On Saturday, OH was going to go into Central London early and try to join the queue to see the Queen Lying in State.  Unfortunately, it was estimated to be over 24 hours long, so he decided against it. Instead we decided to cycle into Central London to Buckingham Palace and see the floral tributes. 

I went to a free gym session first and then had a bit of a potter in the garden, then later after lunch we headed into town. It was a beautiful day for it. Clear blue sky, but a bit of a chill in the air.

We had a nice ride into town, it wasn't too busy until we got to Admiralty Arch and then we had to get off the bikes and walk them through St James Park.  Everyone heading to Buckingham Palace were snaked through the park and around the pond and eventually to the Palace. The last part of the queue was very busy and very slow moving and took well over an hour.  

Here's a view from the queue:


It then took a while to get from the front of the Palace into Green Park, where the floral tributes were left, as the road into the Palace was cleared a few times for incoming cars and no one could pass.  It was very well organised, but so busy. Here's a picture of some of the candle tributes in Green Park:


OH and I split up before we got to the Palace. I stayed in the queue to see the floral tributes, whilst he went off to Parliament Square to see people coming in and out of Westminster Hall where the Queen was Lying in State. We met up again later at the Royal Academy in Piccadilly. I got a bit lost cycling the back streets in Mayfair on my way there, but it was fun to cycle around areas of London that I've never cycled before. At least the whole afternoon spent walking in queues and cycling around Central London meant that I did a lot more exercise.

After meeting up again, we cycled home, stopped at a pub for a drink and then treated ourselves to a takeaway supper. I tried the very popular Temple of Hackney Vegan Seitan Chicken, which I'd wanted to try for years and it was very good. This shop used to have a huge queue outside it when it first opened several years ago. It was still busy, but mainly with Uber eats takeaway orders, as well as quite a few people in the shop.

In all, it's been a pretty busy week and quite a bit more productive in some ways. I've made progress in some areas, but there's still of lot of things that I need to do to keep improving things at home and to encourage more online sales.

How has your week been?




No comments:

Post a Comment