Thursday 17 March 2022

A New Week

This week, I'm feeling much better, having largely recovered from the worst cold that I've had in years. I'm still quite congested nasally, but other than that I'm feeling more or less back to normal. It does feel like I've lost a week somehow though.

This week I have had four days off in a row, as I changed from working on Tuesday, to working on Friday. This was actually quite useful, as it gave me the opportunity to do some work around the house, which desperately needed doing.

Monday, was the usual gym class and weekly shop kind of day, so nothing else got done, but Tuesday was a bit more productive.

I started the day, having booked a slot at the local refuse tip, to take lots of junk there. Between OH and I, we managed to fully fill the car with rubbish to take, which has created a little more room here and there. I also have another pile of stuff to take to a Zero Waste Hub this weekend, which will free up a bit more space too, so it's a kind of clear out week that we're having here this week.

The only exception to this, is that with everything that is going on in the world, I made the decision in the last week, to put together a home emergency kit of sorts, that might be useful in the event of power outages, etc. I've purchased a few things such as battery operated lanterns, candles, tealights, matches, batteries, etc., that we can reach for should there be any difficulty with power supply of any sort. There's a few other things I need to get before I feel I've completed the kit, but I know that I'll feel a lot more secure knowing that I won't need to rush around trying to buy these things, once they've already disappeared from the shelves of the shops. They may, hopefully, of course, never be needed, but I do like to be prepared and nothing is perishable in any case.

On Tuesday afternoon, I decided to tackle the cleaning of the front bedroom. It was still covered in a layer of dust after having the front sash windows replaced. Now OH has finished what he needs to do in there for the moment, I could go ahead and clean up a bit. This in turn, also freed up more space in the sewing room, where I had stored many of the bits and pieces from the book shelves for the duration.

It took a good three hours, just to clean the bookshelves and one side of the room, afterwhich I felt quite tired and called it a day. Later, in the evening, I also tackled the mountainous pile of ironing that has accumulated lately.

On Wednesday afternoon, I continued with the cleaning of the bedroom and managed to clean almost all of it, save for the bookshelves in the opposite alcove, which I'll have to tackle another day. There was so much dust on top of and even inside the wardrobe. It feels good to finally get it cleaned up.

It felt like I had a productive few days off anyway, although there is still a lot more cleaning to do in the house at the moment. I've found it hard to knuckle down and do it in recent weeks with one thing or another.

Today, however, I'm heading back to work. I hope you've had a productive week.




5 comments:

  1. Hi there so enjoy reading your post ..glad you are feeling better in yourself now .. such a productive week you have had … you make me feel quite lazy 😞glad to read that you are also getting prepared for emergencies.. as I thought it was me just being silly buying more batteries, lighters ,candles,a couple of phone chargers and also drawing cash out when I can just for security and doing some batch cooking for spare freezer … please share anything I missed out on that you have thought of …hopefully neither of us will need to use any of this at least not in a emergency regards Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one making some sort of preparations too. It may seem silly to many people, but it's a very simple thing to do and better to do it now than to leave it and find that there's nothing left in the shops if things do get serious further down the line.

      Delete
  2. Everytime I have a mammoth cleanup I swear to do little and often next time to stop the build up but it rarely happens!
    I know your kit is mainly for power cuts etc but I would suggest you add to your kit at least one of those 5 litre large bottles of water, most supermarkets sell them - if you remember with the Chernobyl disaster the fallout dust cloud made its way over here and some people in some areas of UK had to remain inside for a few days and there was worry about the radioactive dust getting into the water supplies. With Putin being threatening about the Nuclear attacks and his army having control over the nuclear power stations I am going back to the advice we got in the 70's and 80's from the government. This is the leaflet we got when Russia was a big threat before and I hope we never have to do all this but good to know this info just in case. https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1500124311
    A battery radio is suggested too. It was quite frightening back then and is once again the damage that could be done.
    As we pray for peace - have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I have
      also bought a six pack of 2 litre bottles of water and a wind up/battery operated/solar radio too. I am kind of doing an emergency/disaster kit, as who knows where all these horrible threats might lead. I have to say, that being in London doesn't feel particularly safe at the moment, as it is possibly likely to be one of the first places to be hit, but I can't really do much about that.

      Delete
  3. I am glad that you are feeling better. Hopefully the cold goes away soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete