Wednesday 4 November 2020

Lockdown 2 Eve

It's been a strange week so far. What with the announcement of a second lockdown and the looming US Presidential election, which seems to be the focus of attention with regard to world news.

In my small world, Monday was spent getting a few bits from B&Q to see us through lockdown, i.e. paint and other decorating bits, and smokeless coal, in case we need or want to fire up the wood burner. I expected it to be busier out, but it wasn't too bad which I was thankful for.

Today, I woke up at 6am and couldn't bring myself to go downstairs to see what was happening with regard to the election.  Then OH came back to bed saying it was very close, so I had an early breakfast and took a look. I wish I hadn't and went back to bed, then I tried to avoid it for most of the rest of the day.

I worked my final day at work for the forseeable yesterday. I spent most of it packing boxes of stock to send to our online hub for listing through lockdown.

Our shop is definitely closing and we're all being furloughed.  We did have a choice to continue working from the shop to sell online only, but it was questionable whether we'd make back our salaries and overheads doing that, although many shops are attempting it. We could also have worked to sell online from the Online hub for our area, but it is so far from where I live, I wouldn't be able to cycle there and it would probably take 90 minutes each way on public transport. Given the choice, I opted for furlough. I can't say I'm 100% happy about it, but neither was I happy at the thought of travelling across to the other side of London on public transport, when I've spent the last four months cycling into Central London to avoid it. I can't help but feel a bit guilty though, but I've made my choice and I just have to get on with it. I'm very lucky to have had a choice at all.

Instead, I have decided that I will probably sacrifice some of my leave for the remainder of the year, to give something back to the charity I work for and be more available to make money for the remainder of the financial year. After all, how much more time do I need to take off this year and carrying lots of leave over to next year will create more work pressure through absences. I'm not sure what my fellow shop managers are doing in this regard, but I'm more than happy to give some time back. 

This time around, I don't feel the overwhelming sense of panic and then relief that I felt when the last lockdown was announced, probably because we have a sense of what will happen over the next few weeks. I just feel a bit sad. Sad for all charities and businesses that are going to lose so much money in the lead up to Christmas this year. Sad for everyone who is going to be isolated and unable to see their friends and loved ones. Sad for all those who are going to suffer anxiety and financial hardship during lockdown.

One small positive, was that my last day at work yesterday was super busy and our takings were really up, which was great.  We put as many games, jigsaws, gifts and other items into the shop as we could and it paid off.  Many people started their Christmas shopping, just in case, and spent lots of money with us. I'm hoping it's been the same today and I just pray that we'll be open again at the beginning of December and that the threat will have receded somewhat by then.

In the meantime, I just need to get my head down at home, get on with the tasks that need doing and at least feel like I've made good use of my time.

Today, I have to admit that I haven't achieved very much at all. It has been spent recovering from work yesterday, reflecting on the situation we find ourselves in (which isn't very useful really, but feels necessary), getting a few last minute bits of shopping and picking up my prescription from the chemist. I will start looking forward and getting stuck into my tasks from tomorrow.

How are you feeling about lockdown this time around?  Do you have any plans about how you will spend your time?


4 comments:

  1. Sad, won't see daughter and grandsons, will miss Georges 1st birthday, but we are well and that's important. Plans to craft for next 4 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No lockdown here, just a mask mandate for our three largest cities. Which we are told won't really be enforced. My provincial government is nuts!

    I am keeping my fingers crossed in regards to the US election. Being directly north of them on one of their closest neighbours this is nerve wracking. I hope things come the way I would like them to. Not fond of Trump at all.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The paid staff at my shops are using leave to cover some of the period where the shops are closed this time round. I think online sales and deliveries are going to continue so I assume someone will be working throughout. I did a couple of shifts this week, just to help get the workroom tidy so we don't return to a total tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't bear to look at the election results for fear it will all go wrong at the last minute- Trump is a psycho!
    It must be hard to have made that decision and I feel so sorry for anyone in the difficult situation of job security and all that. I do hope that we can beat this COvid surge and get things ok again. To be honest, I've not noticed as yet as I've been in school as usual and I spent the past 2 days teaching KS1 their Christmas play songs- it was really nice actually. We thought it was really important for the kids to still be able to put together a musical but instead of mixing the classes and parts, we've just divided it into the 2 year groups and each class (bubble), is performing a third of the play.

    ReplyDelete