Thursday 5 November 2020

Day One of Lockdown

As mentioned in a previous post, I wasn't 100% happy going into lockdown for a second time, but today I decided to start off the time at home in a positive way, doing something that I really enjoy, but haven't done for a while.

It was one of those lovely crisp winter days.  A bit cold, but dry and sunny with a clear sky. As a consequence, when I returned from walking the dog, I decided to spend the day in the garden and it was fab. 

I haven't spent much time in the garden this year, for a few reasons:

1 - the heat in the spring/summer lockdown was too hot for me most of the time, so I preferred to stay indoors.

2 - there were always lots of neighbours out in their gardens and I like it best when I'm out there alone and can't hear anyone in surrounding gardens. 

3 - since lockdown ended, on my days off I've been way too tired to do anything so physical as gardening.

So, on account of the above, the garden has been a bit neglected this year if I'm honest. That made it all the more satisfying to get out there on day one of lockdown. It made me realise what I love about gardening and what I've been missing this year. It cleared my head completely and getting out there and getting absorbed in the task made the day pass really quickly too. I stayed out until it was too dark to do anymore then headed inside to have a lovely bath and prepare some supper.

It was mainly a case of cutting things back, sweeping up leaves and just general tidying around all the pots on the decking and down the side return today. In the process, I managed to collect a few bags of leaves to rot down into leaf mulch, which will be useful for the allotment next year and I redistributed the compost from some container potatoes and tomato plants onto the beds. I know this isn't recommended, but I've always done this and it's never caused any problems.

There's still a couple of places that I need to tidy, but which involved heavy lifting, such as behind/inside the greenhouse and there's still lots of pruning that I need OH's help with, as many branches will need severing with a saw, whilst standing on a ladder! We're planning on being quite ruthless this year, as the fruit trees have got way too big and I'm also planning to dig out some old established plants that have gone past their best. I'm hoping, weather allowing, that we can do some of it this weekend and get somewhere towards putting the garden to bed for the winter.

As the garden in winter isn't really very interesting, I haven't taken any photos, but rest assured it looks better than before I started.

How was your first day in lockdown?

3 comments:

  1. Tomorrow should be good as well, I've been in the garden, and like you I've added the used compost to my beds. I have ordered some shrubs which will give winter colour, being outside is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have always dumped the soil out of our pots into the veggie garden and things seem to be okay.

    Good for you getting down and out. Sounds as if you had a good first day of lockdown.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really good to hear you got out there and were able to make some improvements. I know what you mean about being too tired later on to do much- I felt a lot like that when being back to school full time! It was knackering! I'm gutted about the frost as I hadn't harvested my sweet potatoes and I suspect they've had it now! Sad!

    ReplyDelete