Monday 19 August 2019

Time for a Clean Up

It's been a while since I've done a thorough clean of the house. I've probably not cleaned through the house since before we headed off to Australia for a couple of weeks, back in mid July. As a consequence,  the house was looking pretty bad. I had cleaned both toilets and the bathroom sink, as they were bugging me, but other than that and sweeping the kitchen floor from time to time, no real cleaning had been done, mainly because I've been concentrating on getting back on top of things at work and in the garden at home lately.

At the weekend, LB informed me that she'd invited some friends to come round on Tuesday evening, so they could all have supper together. (Very grown up!)  To facilitate this, I agreed to stay late at work or go to the gym after work, so they'd have the house to themselves for a few hours. OH did likewise and arranged to go to cycling at the track with a friend and then meet me later. I didn't really mind, because she's got her exam results coming out this week (Thursday) and I think she's trying to keep busy.  The only thing was, I would need to clean the house to make it presentable for visitors.

As I was working on Sunday and Tuesday, I only had today to blitz it, which wasn't really a lot of time, as I would be going to my Zumba class in the morning and then doing the grocery shopping.  In the end, I had even less time than I thought, and didn't actually start cleaning until 3pm. (I blame YouTube!)

I started with the kitchen, as I figured they'd be spending the most time in there eating and hanging out, so it needed to look clean. I then worked my way through the house and up the stairs to LB's bedroom, where they may also hang out.  I did a quick clean of the living room, just in case they decided to watch Netflix or play on the Wi, but I didn't clean too deeply in there.

The cleaning was slightly complicated by the fact that my next door neighbours have a toddler, so I couldn't hoover too late, in case I disturbed him going to bed, so I had to prioritise the vacuuming and get it done as quickly as possible.

I was very surprised that I managed to get everything done by 8.30pm, but this was only possible with a bit of help from OH, who kindly volunteered to clean the upstairs bathroom.

It's terrible that I'm finally shamed into cleaning my house by my daughter's friends visiting, but sometimes other things take priority and that's just how it rolls. It does feel good to get it done though. Now I'll be able to enjoy my days off later in the week and not have to feel guilty that it needs doing. 

Having said that, I may actually take some time to clean our bedroom on my days off, which is the only room I didn't tackle. OH is going away on Friday. He's cycling all the way to Yorkshire with a friend and coming back on Saturday, so I'll need something to do whilst he's away! I can think of better things, but needs must.

2 comments:

  1. Glad that you managed to get things done. Time gets away from all of us.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look out for OH coming through Yorkshire! We had a mad clean for the Aussie coming - it is a good way of getting the house done! Enjoy your days off.

    ReplyDelete