Friday 23 August 2019

A.Mixed Couple of Weeks With Some High Points

The last two weeks have been a very mixed bag. Work has been tough and stressful, with heaps of donations pouring in every day.  All I could do was my best.  We've got few volunteers and no interns at the moment, so some things just don't get done.

I had some abuse at work a couple of weeks ago, from a member of the public, who spat at me outside the shop. It wasn't even a customer. I didn't actually notice him doing it, it was my daughter who had just arrived to meet me from work and a volunteer that observed him doing it, I must have been looking the other way.  Disgusting behaviour, especially in front of my child.  I didn't even do anything to prompt it, save for saying that the shop was closed, as we were just leaving.

I also got abused in the street around the corner from where I live, on the same morning.  A man tried to bully me into picking up someone else's dog's poo, from outside of his house, by insisting that my dog had done it, when I knew she hadn't. He even got his wife to swear and abuse me from their flat window.  I refused to pick it up and informed them that I'd call the police if they didn't stop shouting at me and then went on my not very merry way.  Not a good day on the whole.

This week has been marginally better, but not much. An incident in the middle of the night on Tuesday upset me and I got little sleep, so work the next day was gruelling.  I'm now finished for the week though and things have got better.  LB got her GCSE results yesterday and passed all of her exams.  We're so proud of her. She did way better than we expected, not because we don't think she's capable, but just based on her reaction to the exams she took.  I thought that maybe she might fail one or two, but she didn't.

Now, I just have to find the £100 I promised her if she got more GCSE's than I got O Levels, which she did.  OH took us out to lunch at the local Italian restaurant to celebrate which was a nice treat. Drinking a glass of Prosecco at lunchtime wasn't such a good idea though, as I spent the afternoon on the sofa sleeping.  It's so good to know that she's got those qualifications under her belt and has met the conditions required for her to go to her 6th Form College of choice.  She's got her interview there next week. It's an exciting time for her moving on to a new educational institution.

This morning OH cycled off up to Yorkshire with his friend, so I've got a couple of days to myself to do as I please.  LB is meeting up with friends and partying after her exams, so I probably won't see a great deal of her.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, probably just tackle the ironing pile. The dog is still here with me though, so I know one thing, that it'll be double dog walking for me.

I hope you've had a good week.

7 comments:

  1. What is it you do to receive so much abuse? Sounds horrible. Something like that sets a dark cloud all day. Glad things are improving through the week though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid to say that London has quite a large population of very aggressive people and I just happened to encounter two of them in one day.

      Delete
  2. So sorry that your week was so terrible, and I do so hope that your next few weeks are much better.

    I think that almost every country in the world right now is getting more than their share of rude and abusive people. I just can't figure out the whys and wherefores as of yet. I am just glad that we live in a small city and haven't had the problems that bigger centers have with this.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a few high points after such horrible events, there really is some disgusting behaviour around at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It culminated in some events at the shop this week, which I'll post about soon. It makes me want very little contact with people outside of our home sometimes, but I know that's not the answer.

      Delete
  4. I can sympathise with you after our incident in the park last week when we had the grandchildren with us on a picnic. Why are there such horrible unpleasant people around. Hope you have a few good days off.
    Congratulations to your daughter on passing her exams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. It was a relief. There are many people out there that have no manners at all and no awareness that their behaviour is offensive, some don't even care if it is. I like to console myself with the notion of karma.

    ReplyDelete