Friday 2 August 2019

Frugal Friday

In an attempt to make more efforts at being frugal over the next few months, I'm joining with a few other bloggers in posting a Frugal Friday post each week, to summarize any savings or frugal outcomes I've achieved. Here goes with the first one:

1) I used a £12 off an £80 spend voucher at Tesco this week.  I haven't been using this kind of voucher for a few months, as it is often more expensive to shop at Tesco than Lidl, but as we'd just got back from holiday, the cupboards were bare and we needed quite a lot of things buying, I made good use of it. I bought a few yellow stickered meat items in my shop, which will help take us into next week, so I should need to spend less money that week too.

2) I picked up an old damaged wicker cycle basket off the street on my way home last night, as I want to give it a few months of life as a plant holder in the garden.  It will decompose pretty quickly, but will look pretty in the mean time and means one less thing going to landfill. I've trimmed it up and just put a pot inside it for now, but you get the drift.



3) I felt inspired to get out in the garden this week, for the first time in months.  There was a particular climbing plant (not one of ours), that was getting out of hand and strangling everything in the garden, so it got a good cut back and a few other plants got a prune in the process. It's looking a lot tidier now and it's got me thinking that I might just start a bit of a garden makeover this autumn, that I've been promising that I would do for a couple of years now, as it's getting a bit congested.

For the first time, I've noticed that my cork screw hazels actually have nuts growing on them.  I'm hoping we'll be able to eat them eventually.  There's also a few apples on our tree which will save a tiny bit of money once I harvest them. I didn't need to buy blueberries this week either, as our plants in the garden provided some for us.

4) The allotment looked great when we returned home from holiday, thanks to our fellow plot holders watering it through the hot weather.  We harvested lots of small cucumbers, which meant that I didn't need to buy these this week either.

5) I received a voucher for £3.50 from my Tesco Club Card points this week.  This will be used off my groceries, when I next shop there.



1 comment:

  1. I often wish we got the vouchers that you get.

    Loving the idea of the basket being used in the garden.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete