Saturday 22 December 2018

The Little Things

Apologies for not posting very often this Christmas.  As you can imagine, working in retail, it's quite exhausting and manic at this time of year, even in a Charity shop.  My last few shifts have been a little crazy, which is all good for the charity, as lots of money has been raised, but has left me with little energy or time to focus on blogging, once I've caught up with household tasks on my days off.

When I have been off work, it has been the little things that have delighted me this Christmas: watching Xmas movies on TV, opening my various advent calendars (when I remember), treating myself to a new Christmas cactus (white this time),


watching my amaryllis grow extremely tall and straight (how do they do this?)



and treating myself to some festive foliage from Lidl, which helps make the kitchen feel Christmassy too.



I also invested in a festive reed diffuser for the downstairs toilet, (TMI, sorry)


and added lights to my front door wreath for the first time this year.



Bought for £1 from Poundland, they look great, even if I do say so myself.  We still haven't managed to get the icicle lights I bought from the CS in the summer, up on the front of the house, but I'm hoping we might do that on Saturday.

I posted off my last Christmas card on Thursday and also finished my gift wrapping.  I've been happy to see my stash of Christmas wrapping paper diminish, so that I can be a bit more eco friendly with my wrapping next year.  I did intend to do that this year, but I failed miserably, as I was seduced by shiny and cute wrapping paper in Poundland.  Next year, I want to print my own wrap using brown paper and poster paint.  I did it many years ago when LB was small and it worked very well, so I'd like to have another go at it next year. No more foil wrap for me, as it's not very sustainable.  I'm hoping to banish it from now on.

As usual, I've gone a bit overboard on the gifts again.  Many have been bought from the CS though, so at least a good cause benefitted from my spending. I hope to increase the number bought this way next year. It just makes sense, as we receive so many great things in our shop, that are new and unused, that it is totally feasible.

There's just some cleaning, the last minute food shopping and a visit to my GP for a health check on Xmas Eve left to do now, once I finish work for Christmas on Sunday evening.  I've got a complete break over the holidays until January 2nd, when I start back to work again.  I'm really looking forward to switching off completely after the madness of the last few weeks and going back feeling refreshed.

I'm not sure I'll get chance to post again before Christmas, so if I don't I just want to wish everyone a fabulous Christmas and New Year and I'll be reading your posts over the holidays

8 comments:

  1. Wishing you and your family a Happy Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Best wishes to your and your family for a fabulous festive season.

      Delete
  2. All the little touches are the ones that make a great Christmas. The little vase of greenery is so cute. My Christmas cacti flowered in November and was soon over this year!
    Have a lovely Christmas and a good rest you deserve it Viv x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Viv, I hope that you have a lovely Christmas with your family.

      Delete
  3. Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year. Hope you enjoy your break from work. Thanks for your blog, I really enjoy reading it although I don't often comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment. Best Wishes for the festive season and for the coming year.

      Delete
  4. I think we've been busier than ever at the shop this December. When I left on Friday we had no Christmas things to put out and hardly anything on the shelves.

    Enjoy your Christmas, hope you get plenty of time to relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same at our shop. We'd completely run out of lots of things. This year, it seemed like everyone left it even more to the last minute this year.

      I'm hoping that more people are actually gravitating towards spending more money with Charities at Christmas and that it will be a growing trend in the coming years.

      Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for 2019. Enjoy.

      Delete