Monday 10 December 2018

A Festive Saturday

This Saturday, I spent the day decorating the house for the festive season. It's a job I don't exactly relish, but it needs to be done and I do enjoy having the decorations up once they're in place.  I always like to clean the reception rooms before decorating them, so the day started with a good dust, hoover and mopping of the wooden floors.  I put my latest music playlist on, country music this time, I'm a secret fan.  My dad was crazy for country music and I guess I've inherited it a little.

Everyone had gone out, LB to a meet up with a friend and OH to a cycle race, so it was just me and the dog, who spent most of the time outside in the garden. As a consequence, I was left to get on with the job in peace, which, if I'm honest, I prefer. Once the cleaning was done, I set about getting the decorations out and putting up the tree.

I started with the decorations.  Nothing too special.  A few twinkly lights here and there, a few fir cones and artificial festive decorations to brighten up the furthest corners of the rooms.


The photo is of LB with Father Christmas when she was 10 months old.  So cute, it comes out every year.


The paper mache reindeer was made by LB when she was small, and also comes out every year.



I seem to have quite a collection of reindeer, so I found them a spot to hang out together on the sash window this year.


Last year's addition of a white berry wreath bought from a charity shop was back in use again.




Door adornments.


Finally, the tree, with LB's hand made angel (again made when she was small) and the wicker skirt I bought in a charity shop this year for £4.99.

One last new addition, that I couldn't resist, was our naughty elf, who is keeping an eye on the new sofa covers and will be reporting back to me any bad behaviour.


As you can see, the room is now looking pretty cosy and festive. One step further to being Christmas ready and it was very satisfying to tick this one off the to do list.




6 comments:

  1. Very nice. I love the reindeer!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've almost got enough to pull a sleigh. If Santa has any problems with his, he can always call in and borrow mine.

      Delete
  2. The wicker tree skirt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes,it does kind of tidy up the look of the tree. I normally put the tree on a table, but couldn't this year because of the skirt, but it actually looks okay stood on the floor and the dog seems to leave it alone too.

      Delete