Saturday 8 September 2018

The Changeover

Although summer is not yet strictly over, and despite the fact we've been promised warm weather well into September, the last couple of days have definitely had a more autumnal feel about them.  Particularly yesterday, when I was out early with the dog before going to work, there was a definite chill in the air.

Whilst it didn't require me to wrap up in sweaters, scarves, hats, etc. I did go to work wearing a jacket for the first time in a long while. It was strangely reassuring, that the British weather has returned to normal after such a swelteringly hot summer.

As a consequence, when I was putting away the laundry this morning, I decided to bite the bullet and get all of my autumn/winter clothing out of storage and start putting away some of my summer items too.

I always enjoy a seasonal wardrobe changeover. I love finding things that I forgot that I had and I look forward to wearing them in the coming months. For example, I forgot that I'd bought myself a new winter coat last year, so I was thrilled when it came out of the bag.  I'd also forgotten about the black velvet jacket I bought in New York in February and I look forward to wearing that too.

The wardrobe is now looking a little full, due to the bulky nature of the items it now holds.  I had to remove the hanging shoe storage that I'd bought to house all of my sandals and flip flops, but which is not needed for the colder seasons and which gave me an extra 6 to 8 inches of hanging space.

The woolly hats and scarves haven't found a home yet.  It's too early to bring them downstairs, where I usually keep them in a wicker shopping basket on the shoe bench, so they'll have to hang out upstairs until they're needed.

I combined this activity with a good clear out of all of my clothing drawers, finding quite a few items that I no longer wanted to keep.  The items for donation were mainly t-shirts that I don't like or wear hardly at all, plus some leggings that I never wear. A few items were donated from the wardrobe, that I don't really like or wear either, leaving me with just the clothes that I think will be used going forward. 

I still do have lots of clothes that hardly ever see the light of day (mainly skirts), but I can't quite say good bye to my skirt wearing days.  It's too much like the end of an era.  Maybe I should just toughen up and accept that they're not for me anymore, or at least the one's I've got aren't, but I just can't bring myself to do it.  Perhaps another time I may actually have the courage.

Anyway, it feels good to have gotten the job done, it's one less thing I'll need to do in the busy lead up to Christmas in the shop.

Have you broken out your woollies yet?

4 comments:

  1. Cardigans yes as this is the layering season - never knowing whether it's going to be warm or cold. I've put away the summer long frocks but kept the short ones out and am wearing them with leggins or thick tights. I'm still in short sleeves but have got my ankle boots out for when my tootsies get cold.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just pulled a couple of warmer tops out of the winter storage drawer - I need to do the big swap over soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I don't own enough clothing to bother putting away out of season items. I have two thicker jumpers that I move to the centre of my hanging rail, but that's as far as it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be switching around my clothing as well very soon. There is a distinct chill in the air when I go for my morning walks.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete