Sunday 2 September 2018

A Productive Day Off (For A Change)

Thursday, was one of my days off this week, and for the first time in a few months, I felt that I actually had a productive day off.

It started with sending LB off to a festival for a few days with a friend and her family.  She'll be gone for 4 days, so I thought I'd use the time to do some cleaning at home, on the days when I'm not at work.

After walking the dog, I was booked into a class at the gym, after which I had to do a bit of top up shopping to see us through to the weekend.  When I got back home, after having lunch, I spent some time on my personal finances (and blogging), due to it being the month end, before finally getting around to some of the housework later in the afternoon.

There was washing to do, hang out and take in, laundry, washing up and other things to put away, bins to empty for collection tomorrow morning and a few other small things that I've put off doing for a while. By the time I'd done these, it was getting quite late, so I only managed to vacuum a couple of upstairs rooms and part of the stairs before supper was ready.  I didn't continue later, as the couple next door have a very young baby and I didn't want to disturb them, so it will have to wait now until the weekend.

After supper, I turned my attention to pickling some beetroot that has been in the fridge for two weeks now (I've missed having any to put in my salads this week), and making some small apple crumbles from some of the apples that OH's mum gave us last week when we visited.

Unfortunately, some rhubarb that I'd harvested a few weeks ago and wanted to make jam with, was way past it's best and had to be composted.  I hate wasting food, but jam making takes quite a while and I just never found the time to do it.  I've still got some rhubarb left on the allotment though, so I might still be able to make some in the next few weeks.

Finally, I had a shower and washed my hair ready for work the next day.

Not a mega blitz, but I did a lot more than I've done for a good while, possibly in part because of it being much cooler outside, which helped to make me feel a bit more energised. Getting on top of the house again is another reason that I'm looking forward to cooler weather this autumn, although I think we've got a few more weeks of warm weather still to come here.

Anyway, I felt better for not collapsing in a chair, getting lost down a YouTube rabbit hole or binge watching Netflix on TV and being unable to motivate myself to move, so progress was definitely made.


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes just making a start is all the motivation you need. I bet you are feeling quite pleased with your progress on your day off.
    I have cooking apples crying out for attention that I need to do something with - finding time is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pickled beetroot and apple crumble, very nice!

    ReplyDelete