Sunday 22 October 2017

Enjoying Some Time at Home

Well, after my post yesterday, there was change of plan. LB was heading out to try to arrange her Duke of Edinburgh voluntary placement at a charity shop in the next borough, so I decided to go with her and we had a girly afternoon out together.  I'd say shopping, but we didn't actually do much.  I bought a few groceries, but little else.  We had a coffee together in Starbucks which was nice too.

Anyway, the CS concerned told her they had too many volunteers at the moment and to try again in a few weeks. I really felt for her as I could tell she was really disappointed and had set her heart on working there.  They are a fancy and very trendy vintage style CS, which is why she wants to work there.

She tried asking at another shop too, but they didn't take on under 18's for voluntary work.  Anyway, she may end up working at the shop I manage at this rate, she'd definitely be welcome there I'm sure, it's just a long way for her to travel. I'm trying to let her sort it out for herself.  She knows she can come to us if she wants to.

The rest of the day I took it easy.  After an afternoon dog walk, I sat and watched Strictly for most of the evening.  Bliss for me as I've worked every day of the last 2 weekends.

Today, I was back to the gym for my Sunday class.  It felt good to get back there after a two week absence. This was followed by a small grocery shop at Lidl, during which a very loud shouting match started between two customers at the till. To be honest I was all for one of them, who was being hassled by someone in the queue and she more than put them in their place. Good for her. I spoke to her later and she looked very upset by the whole incident, as one would be.

Anyway, I had a stroke of luck whilst in Lidl, as they had something on offer in their American week, that LB wanted for Christmas, namely an American brand of iced tea, that she'd tried whilst we were in the States. I managed to get her half a dozen cans at 79p each (they can cost up to £3 in some shops) as part of her Xmas present, so another gift was crossed off the list.  I did, of course, buy her a couple of cans to drink before Christmas too.

This afternoon, I really am going to start catching up on some jobs around the house. It's always the case after a long stretch of working, that it takes me at least a day to recover physically, before I can even think of starting to clean and sort out the house. It's probably both a mental and physical thing. I almost feel like a stranger in my home at the moment, so little time have I spent here recently.  I can't wait to get it back in order again. The fact that it's blustery outside also helps, as the best place is definitely inside this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. It is nice to have a 'bonding' day with your daughter - what a shame she couldn't get to volunteer in her chosen shop. I have managed one or two Christmas presents whilst not even looking for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bargain at Lidl! We have a new store opening a couple of miles away later this week, I'll nip in at some point.

    I know what you mean about needing time to physically recover from a long time working at a charity shop. Obviously I only do a few half days a week now, but I still remember working in one full time!

    ReplyDelete