Thursday 9 June 2016

A First Crop

Yesterday afternoon, I trotted out to the new garden vegetable beds to harvest the first of our home grown salad.

The mustard leaves had been doing so well, that I was concerned that they might bolt in the hot weather if I didn't harvest them soon.  

That is one of the great things about growing them in the garden. They don't get close to going to seed without me being aware, so there's less waste.




As you can see from the photograph, I harvested the larger leaves from half of the row, which provided two salad spinner baskets full.  It has a lovely peppery kick, so should make my salads a little more interesting over the weekend.



There were plenty of other leaves to pick, but I prefer to grow the fancy frilly varieties into full size heads of lettuce, as these are what I buy and eat on a regular basis and they are quite expensive. As a consequence, I'm not touching them for now.  I'll let you know when they're big enough to harvest.  

It feels good to finally be harvesting crops from the new vegetable beds. I'm keeping a tally of what I harvest to see how soon they start to pay for themselves. I've priced this mini harvest at £1.50, which I think is realistic for a bag of leaves. It will take a while to recoup the full cost, but I'm looking forward to more being ready.


1 comment:

  1. Nice harvest of greens. I am patiently waiting for ours to start producing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete