Saturday 8 August 2015

Feeling Better Friday

By Friday of this week, I was starting to feel a lot better and a lot more human.  I feel like I somehow lost a week this week as I had very little inclination to do anything much, as I just didn't feel up to it because of my cold.

After watching the film 'The Impossible' about the Boxing Day Tsunami in Thailand on Thursday evening on TV, however, my cold paled into insignificance.  Films like that tend to help you to get life into perspective. It was very good.  I would definitely recommend it.  I was up late the next day, however, as we didn't finish watching it until midnight.

On Friday, feeling much better, I tried to make up for some of the lost time from earlier in the week and the first thing I really wanted to do was to get rid of some of the 'stuff' I'd got ready to donate that was currently taking centre stage in the sewing room.

I hauled a huge suitcase and a large trolley bag full of things into the car and went to drop off LB at her friend's house for the afternoon.  On the way home, I did a detour and dropped the bags off at the CS.

Whilst at the CS I found myself a couple of forks, which we are in dire need of and as I only had 30p on me, the lady behind the counter very kindly let me have two for the price of one.  (Forks are definitely one of those items that we are always running out of, as we use the dishwasher once a day or once every two days.  I'm going to look out for a few more next time I drop off any donations.)

With a couple of huge bags out of the way, I decided to put some other clothes into the local TRAID deposit.  One bag of shoes and one bag of clothes found it's way into there, clearing yet more space.

I had dropped off a dozen books at the Little Free Library at the beginning of the week, before the cold fully took hold, so gradually the pile in the sewing room is decreasing.  The remaining boxes are mainly bric a brac, toys and children's books, which I may just take to the next Give and Take event, unless the urge takes me to pass them on elsewhere in the next week or so.

I'm not finding too much more to donate at present, but this is in part due to the fact that I can't get to some of the places that I want to declutter, due to the donation pile blocking my way.  I think that once all of it has been removed from the house, I will feel inspired to start seeking out and gathering together more things for the next round.

When I think of how much 'stuff' I have bought in the last few years, which is now being donated, I feel incredibly wasteful.  In fact, I find it far too difficult to even think about how much money I must have wasted during this time.  The only consolation is that a lot of it was probably purchased from charity shops, so I have donated a lot of money to good causes in the process.  I just don't want to live my life in this way, spending without thinking, anymore.  From now on, I want my purchases to be much more considered and much less impulsive and I want to only own what I need and use regularly.  Everything else is just a weight around my neck.

On a completely different subject, Friday also saw me attempt to make some super easy fruity oat cookies. I found the recipe on Lucy's blog at Attic 24. I didn't have quite enough of all of the ingredients I needed, but made do with what I had in the cupboards.



Unfortunately, however, I burnt them slightly on my first attempt at making them, but they still tasted pretty good regardless.  It is rare that I buy biscuits or cakes these days, so to have something to munch with a cup of tea was quite a treat for a change and the ingredient's were all pretty healthy and organic. I will definitely be using this recipe again as it is super simple, very tasty and pretty healthy too. What more can you ask?

Anyway, as the week draws to a close, I'm slowly getting back into the groove.  Hope you've all had a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment