Thursday 16 April 2015

You Beauty Discovery Box - April Edition

On our return from Yorkshire, I took delivery of this month's You Beauty Discovery Box, which had been posted out to me whilst we'd been away.  I had received notification that from 1st April the products you could chose to be included in your new box would be available and you could therefore order this month's box.

I had made a mental note of the products I wanted in my box, but by the time I got around to ordering them later on the first available day, the main products I wanted, which were a hand and lip balm duo were out of stock.  I was a bit disappointed, but as this was the only option that was made up of two products, I wasn't entirely surprised that everyone had plumped for it, so that they got an extra item in their box.

This month's theme for the box was Organic and Natural.  There seemed to be a preponderance of small sample sizes in the choices.  Probably because these products do tend to be quite expensive I suspect.



I decided to pick the Tisserand Sweet Dreams Bath Oil which sounded quite interesting as it contains various 100% natural essential oils including bergamot, lavender and ylang ylang .  I like to take an occasional bath, especially after an afternoon down the allotment, so it will be good to have something nice to put in it.  It is only a small 20 ml bottle, but I decided it was preferable to some of the other choices on offer.  I couldn't find this particular bath oil on the website, but similar ones retailed at £12.50 for a 100ml bottle, so this sample size was probably worth a couple of pounds or so.



My second choice was this Chamomile Desensitising Hydrogel (a kind of gel toner) by a company called Heaven Skincare.  I liked the sound of the contents, which included organic chamomile and rose essential oils and organic witch hazel and coconut.  Again it was a small bottle which was only 10ml in volume.  On taking a look on the product website this product alone, which is a travel sized product, costs £10 to purchase full price, so I guess I was getting my money's worth with this product alone.  (The cost of the whole box is £6.95 including postage).  I do like the pump action bottle and the packaging of this product and it does smell lovely.  I will definitely use this product for travelling instead of taking my larger regular toner.

The other two products in the box that members were automatically sent included this sample sized sachet of this Yours Truly Organics Fix Me!  Repairing Serum.  I will be interested to try this 10ml sample and it will also be useful when travelling, so it will get used.  A full size product in this range costs £28 for 30ml, making this sachet worth £9 and it should be enough for a good few applications. I may even transfer the contents into a small pot or bottle for ease of use.





The final product in this month's box was another health food product, which was this sachet of Linwood Milled Flaxseed, Cocoa and Berries mix which can be added to smoothies, yoghurt, cereal, salads, etc.  I have already tried this out on some porridge and it wasn't too offensive. You are supposed to take two dessert spoons of this each day, in order to benefit from the flavinols or antioxidants it contains.

In all honesty, I have to admit that I have been slightly less impressed with this month's beauty box and more especially with the size of the products.  There was the option of one other full size product apart from those which were already sold out, which was a cleansing sponge, but it wasn't something I would use.  This month's box was, however, useful for directing me toward websites where I can find more earth friendly products, so it was good from this point of view and I will report back about any of the products that I particularly like if this should be the case.

As this box is quite an inexpensive treat, for the moment I will continue with this subscription for a couple more months to give it a fair trial and if I'm still not so enamoured of the contents of the boxes, I may then decide to cancel my subscription.  I will also have to make sure I remember to be quicker off the ball to secure the products I want.

1 comment:

  1. I occasionally use the Sweet Dreams pulse point oil when I can't sleep. I don't know whether the product works or if I just teach myself to associate that fragrance with sleep, but I do like it.

    I like the idea of these boxes, but the idea of paying for a sample size makes me feel queasy!

    ReplyDelete