Saturday 14 June 2014

Saturday Afternoon Making Another Simple Skirt

Last weekend, after a lazy Saturday morning lie in reading my current book, a morning spent catching up on laundry chores, lunch out at a local cafĂ© with OH (whilst Little Bird was off swimming with her friends at the local lido), potting on all of my cucumber and tomato seedlings and then a catch up with this week's episode of Nashville on TV, which I'd recorded earlier in the week, I decided on a spot of sewing on Saturday afternoon.

I had some fabric laid out upstairs in the sewing room and I had already started to pin pattern pieces to it the night before.  I cut out the pattern pieces and made up another very simple A-line skirt, a pattern I've used many times before, using a fabric I'd found in my stash whilst reorganising it the other day.  It's a stretch denim type of fabric with large red shiny stars all over it.  Probably sounds positively awful, and not perhaps to everyone's taste, but I'd had in mind to make a skirt with it since I bought about 4 or 5 metres of it from a stall at our local market a couple of years ago.  I don't know why, but I just liked it instantly.  I didn't have a clue what I'd make with it, but just couldn't resist it.  I probably should have been a bit more adventurous and made something a bit more challenging, but I just had a feeling it would lend itself well to being made into an A-line skirt.

After sewing it all together, minus a few mistakes and minor disasters along the way, I finished off hand sewing the hem whilst watching TV that same evening.  I was quite pleased with the result.  It's heavy enough to feel substantial when I'm wearing it, but not too heavy that I can't wear it in the summer months with Converse trainers and a t-shirt.  It's a bit quirky to boot, which I definitely like about it and I can also imagine wearing it in the autumn/winter with a sweater and boots. Here's a picture of the finished item.




The only downside I've found to this fabric, is that the stars melt under the heat of an iron, so I will have to remember to iron it inside out or using a cloth over the top.

On the subject of making your own clothes, I came across an excellent blogging challenge on a blog I was reading the other day, to wear at least one hand made or reconstructed item daily for the month of May.  I was, unfortunately, too late to join in this year, but hopefully if it runs next year I might give it a go.  I might need to add a few more hand made items to the wardrobe or alter some of the clothes in there though, to get through the month.  Still, plenty of time for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment