Wednesday 5 June 2013

Refilling the Cupboards

After being away for a week and having taken as much food as we could with us, we came home on Saturday to very little in the fridge or cupboards.  We managed to get by on Saturday evening and Sunday by making use of what was left in the freezer and cupboards, plus a few bits we bought locally from our Sunday market.  That was fine, but when it came to my daughter's packed lunch on Monday morning, it wasn't very exciting I'm afraid, which made me feel a little guilty that I hadn't gone to Asda yesterday, but I'm sure she'll survive.

So, Monday morning I headed off to Lidl after my Zumba class, armed with a big long list of things we needed.  As I hadn't shopped in a Lidl for a couple of weeks I went all around the store putting most things from my list into my trolley plus a few extras that could go in the freezer meaning that only a small shop should be necessary next week.  When I got to the till even I was surprised at the total - £81 or thereabouts which is twice what I would normally spend.  About £9 of this were bits and pieces for presents or for around the home - always a danger in a store like this which have different items on sale each week.  I can never resist having a look and occasionally get tempted, this time it was by some socks for OH as most of his have holes in them and a couple of wooden scarf hangers, which I thought I would try as my scarf drawer is getting far too full.

It felt good to get back home and stock up once again.  There are still a few things that I couldn't get from Lidl and so a trip to Asda was still a necessity, making my total shop for the week well over £100 by the time I've finished, but this week is pretty exceptional.

I also placed an Approved Food order on Monday, as I didn't place one last month at all and it is nice to stock up on some store cupboard items which are running a bit low and a few treats which haven't even really featured in this week's shop.  I must admit that I do love it when the box is delivered too.  It feels like Christmas all over again even if it is only food, household cleaning products and a few toiletries.  Small things please small minds it could be said.  I may even treat you to a reveal once the order arrives and you'll be able to see all the things I pig out on.

I spent about £70 in total on this order making sure I took advantage of almost the full weight allowance for the minimum delivery fee.  I paid for it using the credit card that I have paid off and don't pay interest on, instead of the one attached to my PayPal account which has a large balance and interest to pay.  I try not to use my debit card online for security reasons.  Baby steps towards saving on fees I know, but it all adds up.

The following day I headed off to Asda for the remainder of the shopping.  Of course I got side tracked by the clothes department as I decided to look for a pair of knee length shorts and managed to find two pairs, one black and one purple for £8 each.  I was really pleased with them as I've bought them from Asda before and they fit well and tend to look quite nice on.  I had to get the second pair as when I find something I really like I often feel compelled to get it in another colour.  Not a great photo, but they look okay on.



I then also got side tracked by the reduced food fridge and reduced bakery trolley.  I always have to pay them a visit and ended up buying lots more extra things, meat mainly to stock up the freezer.  I ended up with quite a few things that weren't on my list, but barring a lengthy power cut which would be a disaster, it will all get eaten and it will mean that I won't have to do quite as much food shopping for a couple of weeks and can get on with doing lots of other more interesting things - once I've tackled this enormous pile of ironing that is burning holes into the back of my head, that is!

2 comments:

  1. I don't iron much but there is always more in the summer. I quite enjoy washing & ironing clothes after a holiday - stick an old film on & get ironing !
    Lovely shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I still iron far too much and when I look at this current pile it is tempting to just give it a miss. I don't mind so much in winter as it keeps you warm but in summer I'd rather be doing other things instead.

      Delete