Thursday 13 June 2013

Patchwork Progress and First Fast

Tuesday this week, was my first fasting day after deciding at the weekend to try to follow a 5:2 type fast diet.  As a consequence I felt pretty hungry most of the day and was looking for ways to distract myself.   The first few days of any new diet are always the worst and I find myself constantly thinking about what I am missing and trying to remember not to put things in my mouth.

I had a good breakfast of porridge made with water which at 140 out of the 500 calories allowed  on fast days set me up pretty well.  I had to go to a meeting at the school in the morning regarding a new school uniform that is being introduced and then I had to walk the dog, so by the time I'd done all that and had a cup of tea it was time for an early lunch of a mixed salad.  I couldn't add all the lovely extras such as mozzarella cheese, avocado, boiled egg or even the balsamic vinegar that I normally would, but it still tasted good and was probably less than 100 calories in total.  I treated myself to a peach for dessert.

In the afternoon, I took myself off and out of the house.  I had a few bits and pieces to get that we needed and also I wanted to look for some fabric to finish my patchwork cushion.  Yes, in spite of having stacks of fabric in the house I didn't have anything plain and of a suitable colour and in sufficient quantity to complete the edge of the cushion which was very annoying, so I ended up buying 1m of grey poly cotton, which I got for the very reasonable price of £1.20.    What I don't use for the patchwork I may interface and use for the back of the cushion cover.

When I got home it was wonderful to start on the patchwork again, which I hadn't touched for over a week.  When sewing or doing something similar with my hands, it is very difficult to put food in my mouth at the same time.  As a consequence, save for cooking dinner for us all and the dog (she's being very picky lately), I spent most of the rest of the evening continuing with the patchwork.  I even gave Netball a miss as I didn't want to work up more of an appetite.  By the time I ate again at 7pm I was famished and the fish, Asian vegetables and Jersey Royals tasted very nice indeed.  I finished off with a small bottle of slim line bitter lemon, which contained very few calories, and that was my first fasting day over.  It was  quite tough, but was definitely achievable.  I may have gone  a few calories over the 500 allowed, but for a first attempt I don't think I did too bad. I'm sure I'll get better with practice.   I just need to develop a few evening meals that are low in calories for future fasting days.  I've bought some Quorn mince and pieces which will hopefully come in useful in this respect.

I would welcome any ideas from other bloggers regarding ultra low calorie meals for fasting days.

2 comments:

  1. Oh well done !

    I only did it a while but I'd eat breakfast as late as possible ( brunch ? )
    had black tea or hot water with a slice of lemon first thing & later a mushroom / spinach omelette.

    Supper - chicken & veg or salad & no carbs.

    lots of hot water & lemon during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to hear how you did it. I must get hold of the book for some ideas. An omelette actually sounds lovely. I might try that next week. I don't know if I could go without 3 meals though.

    ReplyDelete