Thursday 14 March 2013

Seeing Spots and Charity Shop Tales 5

I ventured into our local neighbourhood charity shop on my way to the library the other day.  It isn't a charity shop that I visit very regularly, although it is one of the nearest to where I live.  I just tend to go to some more regularly than others.  Anyway,  I had a good look around but I didn't have much money in my purse, maybe £5 or £6 which did limit me somewhat.

I was tempted by a 1960's/70's fabric duvet cover in yellows but decided instead on a couple of sewing patterns at £1 each and a necklace and earrings set for Red Nose Day on Friday for £2.  They  were from Claire's accessories, sold this year for Red Nose Day.  They were superbly kitsch but I do love a bit of kitsch, and you've got to get into the spirit of it a little is what I say.  Anyway, someone must have bought them and then changed their mind about them, as they were still attached to the card, which is good, as not only will Comic Relief have benefited, but so will our local charity shop.  I'm intending to wear the earrings, once cleaned, and my daughter has already reserved the necklace to wear on Friday.  I just need to bake some buns now for the school cake sale.  That will be interesting!


 

The first sewing pattern I decided to buy was this pattern for a dress.  I like the straight dress on the left.  I particularly like it's high neck and pretty sleeves and fancy that it might be quite simple to make.   Alternatively, I could make a top which might be nice for the summer.  Luckily the pattern is completely uncut, so I will be able to make it in my size.  I just need to dig out some fabrics now and see what I might be able to use.  Thinking about it, I do have a lovely navy/white small spotted lightweight cotton fabric, which might be ideal if I have enough of it.




The second pattern was for some shorts/trousers of various lengths.  Unfortunately the trouser pattern had been cut to a size smaller than I would need, but I could try to enlarge the pattern or cut the fabric pieces bigger if I wanted to make them.  The knee length shorts however are rather nice, and the pattern for them is uncut so I could make them in any size and they would be great for the summer in a nice fabric.  I could also probably just lengthen them to make trousers too which might be easier.  I've never made trousers before, but have seen others make them, and I do know that they can be a bit tricky to get a good fit.


 

As you can see, I didn't spend an awful lot on this charity shop visit which is good.  I did however, treat myself to a couple of spotty things in Primark last week when I was passing.  The first was this spotted navy/cream  neoprene makeup bag with patent red edging, which I just love.  It was £3 and is just lovely and cheerful.  I just wish they did a handbag in this colour combination.


 

The second is this red/white spotted cotton shopping bag to carry around in my handbag this summer.  This cost £1.50. (Please excuse the terrible photo, I took this at night with the lights on, and the creases,  it has been folded up in my bag)   I suppose I could have made myself one, but doubt if I could even get the fabric for that price, let alone the effort involved. 



4 comments:

  1. mad earrings ! I like the cropped trousers in the pattern best.
    We started our Easter window yesterday full of straw bunnies & " The Girls " in spring colours.
    I brought some skinny jeans home to try on ... awful ! They felt like post op surgical stockings & I struggled to get them off ! Shall be taking them back for someone skinnier !

    Would you like to put a plug on my Blog for you ? Then you might get a few more visitors - lots of Bloggers do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,it's funny you should mention skinnies, I tried some on the other day too and they weren't for me either. I've seen them on some women my size though and they look okay. I think they need to be made from a good thick fabric as otherwise they show any tiny bit of cellulite which is not a good look.

    Your offer of a mention is really kind. Thank you. I do received some traffic already from your blog which I do really appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding old patterns in charity shops, unfortunately I don't have the time to actually do anything with them. You can't beat Primark for a bargain, I agree about not being able to make it cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I must admit I don't always get around to using them all but some do get used if they're not too tricky to follow.

      Delete