Monday 18 March 2013

More Frugal Fashion Makes

One Saturday morning, a couple of weeks ago now, I was rummaging around in our dining room, looking to see what else I could relocate, to clear some of the detritus that has gathered there since the building work, and I happened upon some fabric that I bought last summer for about £3, from a stall at our local market. I remembered that I wanted to make a skirt with it, although I was tempted to make a lovely cushion cover.  Inspired by re-discovering it, I hot footed it up to my workroom and set about transforming it into a simple pencil skirt.

I'd already earmarked a pattern to use to make a pencil skirt, which I'd got free with Prima magazine a few months ago, so I cut it out and it just fitted on the piece of fabric with very little to spare.   The fabric itself is a stretch cotton sateen with a striking vintage-looking floral pattern.  I'm not sure if it is a vintage fabric or not but as soon as I saw it I just loved it.  It would have made a gorgeous cushion cover, but I decided on something a little more adventurous so that I could wear it.  I figured that if and when I do get bored of it and no longer want to wear it, I will still be able make said cushion cover by reusing the fabric, rather than throwing it away or giving it to the charity shop.

I had to make a few adjustments to the pattern, as I only had a normal zip and not a concealed zip.  I also took the split out, as I'm not a fan of sewing them and as the fabric had a stretch across the grain I thought that I might get away with not having a split.   I also lengthened it a little so it is below as opposed to on the knee as I prefer this length.  Finally,  I added internal facings to the waist area and dispensed with lining for this particular skirt, as the fabric is quite thick and I find skirt linings quite annoying sometimes as they ride up or hang below the hemline if the fabric shrinks.

The making of it progressed slowly bit by bit as time allowed over the next week or so, and now finally I can post a photo of the finished skirt.   This makes another item for my new spring wardrobe.  Roll on spring so that I can wear it without freezing to death.
 
 




I've already got another project in mind using the same pattern, but with a different fabric that I bought for £1.50.   I'll post a picture when I've completed it.  Does anyone else out there make their own clothes or are thinking about starting?  I must admit that I am not completely self-taught, but have attended various dressmaking classes over the last few years to build up my confidence.  In fact, I usually like to attend a class when making something I've never made before, as if I get into difficulty with a pattern, there is a tutor on hand to help you out.  In addition, it is interesting to meet others interested in making their own clothes.

The local libraries in a neighbouring borough to where I live, regularly put on courses and I have attended quite a few.  Unfortunately, this term the course I was interested in was  fully booked, so I haven't been able to attend, but I may try to enrol on a course starting after Easter if there are any spaces.  It's usually only for a couple of hours a week, but it enables me to try to make an item that I might not otherwise try to make at home on my own.  The courses themselves work out at about £5 per week, which I am happy to pay for the tuition, and is less than the cost of one exercise class at the gym, so I think it is really good value.  No wonder they are fully booked!

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous skirt. I haven't done a course for years. I did a computer one years ago to get me started
    ( I was the only non OAP there ! )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I must admit to having done various courses in the last few years. I'm a serial course attender. This is probably the first term for a couple of years when I haven't done one and I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would, but I will probably do something again at some point in the future. Maybe a course about blogging. Now that would be interesting and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the skirt,well done. I'm hoping to get back into dressmaking this year after many years away from the hobby. I see so many clothes that I like but can't afford so the only way is to make my own providing I can pick up fabric cheaply enough. I have a few lengths of fabric put by, a couple of patterns, and have also subscribed to Prima so really no excuse now other than lack of time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gill, I hope you don't mind me asking, but have you rung the publishers and asked to have the pattern sent every month? With a subscription, you have to opt in, as it doesn't automatically get sent to you. The patterns are pretty good though but sometimes i have to adjust them slightly to get an exact fit.

    ReplyDelete