This month, I've managed to get on with a few projects whilst OH was away and during the heatwave when I've been mainly confined to the house. Buying the vintage Singer sewing machine prompted me to finish the shed quilt I started earlier this year, which is one project crossed off the list. It was made from lots of scrappy strips sewn together on my machine. It certainly isn't needed in this hot weather, but it will be ready for when the weather gets colder. Here's a picture of the finished quilt in the shed, which largely co-ordinates with the cushion cover I made previously:
I also made progress with my small Suffolk puff project and finished making all the puffs that I needed to decorate a cushion cover. Below is a picture of all the puffs sewn in place, onto some velour fabric, ready to make the cushion cover. I now just need to add a zip and a backing panel. I quite like the effect, as it's quite textural.
I do have another Suffolk puff project in the pipeline. I'm going to make enough to attach to a pretty boring lampshade in the sewing room, to jazz it up a bit. I'm going to use fabric from a dress that didn't suit me, as I really like the print. I'm going to change the curtains and colour scheme in this room to more greens and browns later in the autumn, so it should fit in nicely. I'll post more as I progress with this project.
I also completed a new small patchwork project this month, when I decided to make a pad to sit the new hand crank sewing machine on when I use it. It's incredibly heavy, being made from cast iron and wood and I've already scratched the craft table top when using it and wanted to avoid making it any worse.
I used up some more denim offcuts and some already made denim hexies, left over from the kitchen chair cushion project, for the top, as it is hard wearing and then used some random fabric scraps made into hexies for the bottom, making it reversible. I also managed to use some foam that was part of one of the old ironing board covers I re-furbished. I'll use the denim side as the top side, as I like it better. It took way longer than I thought it would, but it was satisfying to use up more bits and pieces that I had in my stash and it is a very practical, useful item that will protect any surface I use the machine on. Here's a picture of the finished pad:
Finally, I also altered a dress that I bought new from a charity shop for £5 into a top. This was just a case of cutting 6-8 inches off the bottom and re-hemming it to the right length. As a dress, it was very unflattering and way too short for my liking. It kind of widened out from the hips into an exaggerated shape that I didn't like. I did, however, like the top half of it, as it has flattering neckline. It's made of a very thick 70% cotton jersey-type fabric, so it will make a nice sweater type vest for the autumn/winter, which will be good for layering. Nothing too difficult to alter it, I used the hand crank machine again for this project. Here's a before:
and after
Thankfully, I've been a little bit more productive this month, but I've still got long term projects that I need to finish (i.e. the hexie king sized quilt). I will probably turn my attention to this once the weather has cooled, as sitting with a large quilt on your knee in a heatwave is not to be recommended.






No comments:
Post a Comment