Thursday, 6 August 2026

Monthly Clothing Purchases - July 2026

You wouldn't think that I needed to buy any more clothes, with the amount I've bought recently, but I seem to have an addiction. Most of the clothes bought this month were purchased on our weekend away in Norwich, either from a charity shop or the car boot.

I bought one item at the car boot, namely this cotton waistcoat:


 I liked it and for £3 it was worth buying. It's obviously more for wearing in the autumn/spring.


The few charity shop purchases I made included this M&S cotton gym vest for £2.50 from Emmaus. I was thinking about my current sports vests the other day and the majority I have had for nearly 20 years, which sounds meh, but they don't smell unpleasant. They are, however, all made from synthetic fibres and I'd like more cotton ones. I already have an M&S one which works fine for me, but that isn't cotton either, which is why I purchased this one. Also, is it me, or do you find that most gym tops in the shops are cropped these days? It drives me mad. I certainly won't be showing my midriff at the gym any time soon.

I bought a very simple black racer back vest from Sue Ryder for £1.75 too, as you can't have too many vests in this hot weather. I also bought a couple of items from a Cancer Research Superstore in Norwich, one being a pair of navy hareem pants for £3. They don't look too attractive worn on their own, but I intend to wear them under dresses, as they are very loose and comfortable and I prefer them to leggings. 


The last clothing purchase from our weekend away, was this brand new with tags black dress for £5, also from the Cancer Research Superstore, that I have already cut down to a top. I like how the top part looked on, but not the skirt, which ballooned out and was way too short. It's a thick 77% cotton fabric, so is more suitable for autumn really, possibly with a long sleeved top or blouse underneath, but I do like it. 

Back in London, later in the month, I did make another visit to my favourite out of town charity shop and bought two items of clothing. The first was this linen mix vest type top for £2:



My favourite purchase, however, was this loose, wide legged, black viscose jumpsuit that cost £5. I need to adjust the shoulder straps on this though, as they are a little short and tight.  I will probably just make and attach new ones, as I think this will make it fit better and feel more comfortable on. I really like this item though and I am looking forward to wearing it. It will be great to wear in the hot weather we are still having here in London.


I made one final purchase from the charity shop this month, which wasn't exactly an item of clothing, but was a potential one, in that it was a pattern I bought for £1. I'd been watching this particular pattern on eBay last year, but didn't buy it. It must have been meant for me afterall. I like the pretty pleated high neck feature on this blouse and I will probably make the short sleeved version. I have a similar blouse in my wardrobe  and I really like it, but the sleeves on it are lacy and itchy and it puts me off wearing it. I might be able to alter this using the sleeve pieces from this pattern.

In total then, I spent £23.25 this month, which is an improvement on previous months. I don't have too many vices, but buying second hand clothing is one of them I'm afraid and I don't think I'm going to change anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment