Thursday, 20 August 2026

A Garden and Allotment Update - August 2026

I thought I'd do another allotment and garden update after the scorching summer we've had. It's been a tough season for growing anything and we've had to do a lot of watering using mainly grey water at home and watering cans at the allotment. Inspite of the heat, the garden and the allotment are doing okay. Here's a few pictures of the allotment:



There's not an awful lot left growing, but there's still lots of tomatoes to ripen, and a few cucumbers growing.There's some beetroot still to harvest, when it gets a bit bigger, lots of lettuce and kale still to harvest and raspberries, but everything else has ground to a halt.





Happily for me, there are now quite a few flowers growing. It's definitely dahlia and sunflower season.



I grew two types of sunflower, yellow and red. Neither are very tall though, but they're beautiful all the same.

At home in the garden, the hanging basket is hanging on:


although parts of it look a little unwieldy.


The verbena bonariensis have just kept flowering and keeping the bees and butterflies happy. I do really like this plant, it's a keeper, especially with the hotter summers we're getting.


I've got some sedum that are starting to flower and there are pelargoniums adding a bit of colour.


There are yet more sunflowers, just starting to flower


and plenty more lettuce for successional sowing. Oh has done a great job with these this year.


Finally, we've got some hazelnuts ripening on the two bushes I have in the garden. I'm hoping to beat the squirrels to them this year, but we'll have to wait and see.


In all, despite the hot weather, the garden is looking okay, with not too many losses, but we're still waiting for a decent downfall of rain. Hopefully, we won't have to wait too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment