Monday 13 February 2023

Quilt Progress

Lately, I've been spending a lot of time working on a quilt for LB's room. I posted about this quilt quite a while back when I first started work on it, but then I set it aside and didn't do much more on it for quite a few months.

Once the festive and sale season was over and things started to get back to normal, I found I had time to pick it up again and I've been doing quite a lot of work on it in the last couple of weeks, so I thought I'd do a bit of an update.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I decided to change the colour scheme a little. I was originally trying to use up various blue fabrics from my stash, but once I'd actually pieced a few, it became obvious that using fabrics with more than a couple of colours made the quilt look a bit busy and I wanted a calm kind of look to it.

As a consequence, I decided on a blue/white or blue/cream theme to keep things simple. Having said this there are lots of different blue tones and lots of different shades of cream or white, but I think that using this colour scheme does work well.

To test out how the quilt might look once on the bed, I laid out the blocks that I've already made. Here's a picture:


A bit of imagination is needed, as I will be infilling between blocks with a darkish blue chambrey shirting fabric, that I bought in Yorkshire. I've placed it behind the blocks in the photo below and I think it will make the individual blocks and fabrics stand out and show them off to their best advantage, it's just a question of whether I have enough of it as I only bought a remnant. So long as I have enough to piece between the blocks, I can always get creative around the edges with a border in a different fabric if necessary.

There is one block (third from the bottom), that I'm not sure about, as the colour doesn't match tonally very well with the rest, but I do like the fabric, so I'm going to stick with it and keep it in. I think it looks okay where I've placed it towards the bottom of the quilt. I could mix them all up, but I kind of like the rows of the same fabric.



I'm currently working on the last block, but I'm happy that this project has helped to use up some fabrics that I've had for a long time, but not really used. It's very satisfying in that respect.

It's slowly coming together and I'm quite excited about it. It's quite a lot of work, as there are 25 individual rectangle pieces in each block and I have discovered in the process, that some fabrics are definitely easier to sew together than others and I have the scars on my fingers to prove it. 

Never the less, I'm enjoying the process and looking forward to seeing it take shape.  All of the quilts I make mark a point in time. This one will always remind me of LB going off to university and my finding things to fill my time while she's away.  Empty nest syndrome is real, but I'm coping with it and getting on with my life.

I'll keep you posted on further progress.

2 comments:

  1. Your quilt is going to be lovely. The shades of blue/white and cream are very peaceful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow there is alot of work there and it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete