Tuesday 21 February 2023

Making Beaded Suncatchers

I've been meaning to make this post for probably six months now, so I am pleased that I have finally got around to it.

Last summer, I spent a bit of time visiting car boot sales on Sundays and I often picked up either loose craft beads or jewellery whose beads I could use for crafting for very little money.

I'd seen items on Pinterest and Etsy which inspired me to have a go at making a beaded suncatcher to hang in the garden in the summer.

It was so easy to do. I used plastic fishing wire, as it is very strong and strung beads onto it in different lengths, which I then tied to a lichen covered branch that I picked up on a dog walk.

Glass beads work best as their translucence allows the light to shine through them, but plastic beads and some opaque beads also look good to add to the mix, so anything goes. I also added on the odd charm for a bit of interest.

Here's one I made for my garden, which is currently hung in the sewing room window:



I waited for a nice sunny day to photograph this to show it off at it's best. I intend to put it outside once the weather improves. (I don't know where the face came from, if you can see it in this picture. It's not my face, nor anything in the room!!! Very strange indeed)

This one, which I strung from a mandala shaped incense stick holder, I gave to LB for her room in Halls. It included some beads from some broken jewellery that she owned.




I was pretty happy with how both turned out and I may make some more at some point as I still have lots of beads to use.

3 comments:

  1. Those are very lovely. What a great way to make suncatchers for very little cost. I don't see a face I see a hand.....

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Jackie, when I looked again, I realised it was my hand holding my phone as I took the picture.

      Delete
  2. They are beautiful, I have loads of beads, mainly from jewellery which has broken, like a magpie, I hoard them.

    ReplyDelete