Saturday 18 November 2017

Time for a Haircut and Reflections on Working Life Lately

On Thursday, I decided it was time for a haircut.  I hadn't had my hair cut since just before I started work, back in July.  After a particularly bad day at the CS on Tuesday, about which I can't go into any detail here, I decided it might be useful to boost my confidence, which is currently at rock bottom.

After catching my usual class at the gym in the morning, I went along to a Supercuts salon, which is where I normally get it cut and as there was a queue of six people waiting, I realised it was just not going to happen there. Instead, I decided to go to a tiny little salon around the corner.  I'd taken LB there for a fringe cut for the exact same reason back in the summer holidays.  Luckily, the stylist wasn't busy and was happy to do the job.  Half an hour later I was walking out and back to the car. It looked much better and  I came away feeling much lighter and in a better mood and also pleased that a very nice self-employed lady had received my money and not some big chain of albeit budget hair salons.

Back on the  subject of work, I'm keeping my options open with regard to moving on from where I'm working at the moment, partly because it has become a little less enjoyable of late, despite the general success of the shop and partly because my contract ends at the end of January.

I like the charity I work for, but some of my experiences of volunteering and working for them have not been entirely positive.  I'm trying not to blame the organisation, but it may turn out to be a cultural problem within the organisation, or maybe it's just me that incites a certain sort of behaviour in others. I hope not, as I try to be respectful of everyone I work with. Maybe I'm a bit too easy going and people think they can take no notice of me. Whichever, it may be time for a change or I may just go back to being a volunteer, whereby I can then decide when and if I work. Sometimes, keeping life simple can be the best policy, although I would sorely miss the financial independence that being employed brings.

Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy the work I do.  I love recycling things that people no longer want and sending them off at a reasonable cost to a new home where they can be used and loved, but I don't love some of the attitudes and behaviour of some of the people I find myself working with. I guess it will be the same anywhere. Maybe the answer is to challenge these aspects of the job rather than walk away from them, but I don't always feel wholly comfortable doing this and I don't want to make things worse for myself either.

On a lighter note, the trip to the hairdressers did also facilitate my buying of this lovely little chrysanthemum plant in the market for £1.  How could I resist it for that tiny price?  It will certainly brighten up the house in these darker winter days.



So, another job ticked off the list.  To be honest it was good that I was inspired to go this week, as the longer opening hours at the CS in the lead up to Christmas are starting proper next week. I doubt I'll have the time or inclination to get my hair cut once they get going, as I'll be too exhausted on my days off.



6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that you are not having such a good time at work. I have been there and done that and it's not very nice.
    Glad that your haircut made you feel better.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget to take care of myself when life gets busy, but I feel better when I do.

      I guess there will always be people who will try to burst your bubble at times.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you a little deflated. You must do what your heart tells you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to do what is best overall for you. Volunteering instead of getting paid may actually be where your heart is calling you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know just how you feel about work and the behaviours of others. I firmly believe in team work and the results you get if everyone pulls together.
    I have one member of the team who is becoming more difficult to handle lately and I expect this will lead to a disjointed team that will end up falling apart eventually if they carry on. Such is life - I wish you well with your job whatever you decide but I think behaviours now are far worse than when I started work in the early seventies. People earned their promotion back then but now I think people want the job without doing the work.

    ReplyDelete