Sunday 29 October 2017

A Busy Saturday Morning

This weekend, I spent my Saturday morning doing one of my most favourite things in life, getting rid of stuff. Yes, it was Give & Take Day again and I had yet more boxes and bags to take along.  Just 4 or 5 this time, instead of a car full, plus a few boxes and a bag for the local CS. All the stuff I've collected together leaving the house. Yippee!

Before doing this though, whilst still in my nightdress, I decided to try to find a way to display some collectables that have been sat in my hall cupboard for years. I liked them, but just didn't have a place to put them. In the process of getting them out and trying to display them in various places around the house, I came across a few items I wasn't particularly bothered about keeping and decided I could let them go, so another 3 or 4 items got added to the CS pile.

In addition, I decided that another 18 items I was going to try to sell on eBay.  I don't usually sell things on my personal eBay account, as it is just too much hard work, but I've made an exception for these items, but if I haven't got around to listing and selling them by January, then I'll probably just donate them.

In the process of all this, I got out and unwrapped, a shelf that I'd bought at IKEA and intended to use, but which has sat in the corner of our reception room for over 6 months.  After trying a few different combinations of display, I eventually settled on one.  OH then finally put the shelf up and here's the result:



And here's a close up of my favourite ones:




These are all muramic plaques made by John Clappison when he worked at Hornsea Pottery in the 1960's and 1970's. They're probably not to everyone's taste, but I just love the quirkiness of them, so it's finally great to display them all together in one place.

I've got some more Hornsea muramics to display in the house, but I need the right display method, and I haven't found it yet, but progress has been made, which is all good.

Anyway, eventually I got myself ready, got everything in the car and took them to the various drop off spots.  I also stopped off at the opticians to get my glasses mended, as the arm fell off last weekend and I just couldn't be bothered to schlep up the road to get them mended at the beginning of the week when I was off, so I did it whilst already out and about.

The final things I managed to drop off were some clothes for recycling which went in the TRAID collection point and a small electrical item that went in the electricals recycling bin.

Ironically, whilst dropping off the last box at the CS I was approached by a lady who was looking for the Give & Take herself, so I was able to give her accurate directions to the venue and help her on her way to donate her car full of stuff too. Serendipity, perhaps?

In any case, it was very satisfying to get all this stuff off the spare bed and out of the house and meant that I could finally reach the plug to switch my sewing machine on. So, watch this space, I might even get some sewing done in the very near future.

6 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a give and take, we have small Bring and Buy sales at WI sometimes but the things donated are often junk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that from what I've seen, some of the stuff at the Give and Take is similarly junk, but one person's junk is another person's treasure I guess and the council can always dispose of anything they don't want to put out for people to take.

      Delete
  2. Good on you getting rid of all the items you collected in one day.

    I love the way you displayed your treasures. They are beautiful muramics.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A productive day, well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love those plaques, they look fantastic on the shelf. Something like that would look great here too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What unusual plaques - they look really good displayed on your shelf. I have some old Hornsea pottery in the loft - I should really get it down and display it - it would have been good for Autumn the orange brown colours.

    ReplyDelete