Thursday, 17 September 2026

A Cornish Staycation - W/E 13th September 2026 - Part 2

Thursday, on our holiday in Cornwall, was our penultimate day. We decided that we would go to Marazion to walk across the causeway to St Michael's Mount. We have visited Mont St Michel in Brittany, many years ago, which is quite different, as it has many shops and restaurants on the island, but St Michael's Mount has a castle and gardens. It is free to walk the causeway to the island, but to get onto the island and visit the gardens (which were closed) and the castle, it cost £21 each, if you don't book the night before, so we decided to just walk the causeway and enjoy the views. The tide was out from 9.45 am until around 1pm and this allows you to walk all the way to the island. We enjoyed this and then came back across the beach. 


From here, we then drove back to Penzance and this time LB and I got to enjoy a bit of thrift shopping in the town.

Later in the afternoon, OH and I visited Lamorna Gardens, which are situated overlooking Lamorna Cove. They are mainly planted up with tropical plants, hydrangeas, camelias and rhododendrons, which are planted in terraced beds dug into the cliff sides. It is an amazing garden, but quite steep in places and you do have to watch your footing.  There are lots of paths through the gardens and some lovely viewing points, from which you can see Lamorna cove, which is a lovely little rocky cove.




On Friday, our last day in Cornwall was spent in St Ives. OH went for another bike ride and LB and I met him there for the afternoon. Before heading off, I determined to take a swim in our little local rock pool. It would have been such a pity to go home without taking a dip, so at 8am, I ventured down and had a swim. There was one other person there and we got chatting. I was so glad that I did it. It was cold, and a bit slippery under foot, but very rejuvenating. Next time I come to Cornwall, I will definitely bring my beach shoes.



Our last day was another lovely sunny day and it was very busy in the town of St Ives when we got there.. (I had previously visited St Ives as a teenager, when I went on holiday there with a friend and her parents for a week and ended up with severely blistered legs from sunburn. We had to travel home by train and I remember finding it really difficult to sit on the train seat all the way home. I was a mess)  Thankfully, there was no repeat on this visit.

St Ives is a beautiful, Cornish town/resort, but is incredibly busy. It has  lovely sandy beaches and lots of beautiful shops and cafes. We wandered around the shopping streets and then stopped in a cafe for lunch. The harbour is beautiful at low tide and many people sat around this area on deck chairs.




We then walked up to the Tate St Ives, where we went up to the cafe for a Cornish Cream Tea, which was very nice and had great views of Porthmeor beach. We didn't go into the gallery, but we did sea a couple of beautiful artworks on the way up to the cafe. Of particular interest, was this beautiful glass piece by Patrick Heron, a famous Cornish abstract artist, whose daughter taught OH at university.


There followed a wander around some more streets in the town and a visit to a local bakery, where I bought a Hevva (Heavy) cake, a traditional cornish cake, which was traditionally baked by fishermen's wives to welcome them home from sea. It tastes very nice, similar to a Rock Cake, but denser. It is very nice with clotted cream and jam. By the time we got back to London, there was only one third of the cake left.



We had a fabulous holiday in Cornwall. We managed to pack quite a lot in, but it still felt like we'd only scratched the surface. The drive home seemed a little longer, probably because we didn't have our holiday to look forward to. I would definitely go again and would recommend it to anyone. There is so much to do and see and the scenery is breathtaking. We would also like to attempt more of the South West Coastal Path at some point. Who needs to get on a plane and fly when we have such beauty here at home.


1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic holiday. You packed so much into your stay.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete