Sunday, 9 August 2026

A Lidl Surprise and a Day Out Watching Cricket at Lords - W/E 9th August 2026

The second part of this week was forecast to get hotter again, unfortunately. Friday morning, OH and I headed to the allotment to water and harvest. There was quite a good harvest of raspberries, lots of tomatoes and I also pulled up more beetroot. Enough to pickle another couple of jars full. I also harvested some grapes from the vine that grows on the fence at the end of our plot.  

When I got back home, I washed and weighed all the produce and put it all away. Our total harvest this season has now gone over 50kg, which is great news. We seem to average about 5kg a week, depending on what we harvest. I'm hoping we might reach 75kg by the end of the season now. I'll keep you posted.  

I also needed to wash up and tidy around the kitchen, which was a bit of a mess, before settling down to a bit more shredding. It's completely ridiculous how much paperwork I've unnecessarily hoarded over the last 10 years. It's also scary to see how much money I spent on my credit cards in the same period. For someone who tries to be frugal, I spent a lot. I'm glad that I no longer have such a spendthrift mentality.  It is good to look back sometimes though. I think a lot of the spending indicated how unhappy I was with myself at the time, so maybe I've made progress in this regard in recent years.

I watched some Clarkson's Farm again in the afternoon. It's becoming a habit these days. Later, on Friday evening, I got some good news from Lidl. I'd won 1000 points, which is worth £10 when converted to a money off voucher, so I'll use that next week, along with another £5 worth of points I already had. It will help with the grocery budget.

On Saturday morning, I got up and decided to do something a little more productive. It was brought about by the fact that I couldn't find anything I wanted to wear. I have a wardrobe full of clothes, but I struggle to find tops to go with trousers and skirts. I must have tried on 5 or 6 tops, none of which I liked on me. A couple got relegated to the car boot pile, as life is just too short and wardrobe space too precious to have things in your wardrobe you don't wear.

I then decided to alter a couple of tops, so that I would wear them.  One was a linen top I bought at the car boot last week for £1, which was too long and needed shortening, the other one I'd altered to a top from a dress a while back, but decided I still wasn't sure about it, so this time I shortened the sleeves to ensure that I'd reach for it more. I also had some straps to sew onto a jumpsuit, so three alteration jobs in total. I'll be posting pictures of these in next month's Monthly Makes post.

After lunch, OH and I cycled over the Olympic Park to the Waitrose at our local mall, to get some bits to make a picnic, as we were heading out to watch The Hundred cricket series the next day and decided to treat ourselves. We stopped off at the Velodrome on the way, as there was a race in progress and some of OH's friends were there watching and competing. We hung out there for a while. I then got a slow puncture and we had to pump up my tyre. We made it to Waitrose and did the shop, but when we got out my tyre was flat again, so we had to walk back to the Velodrome to pump it up again to get us home. I was glad to eventually get back and just chill.



On Sunday, OH and I had tickets to watch The Hundred cricket series at Lords. We caught a train and bus to get there. There was both a womens' and a mens' match between London Spirit, whose home ground is Lords and Birmingham Pheonix. It was a good atmosphere and lots of fun. There's always lots of families enjoying the day. It was strange to think that last year at the same time when we went, the match was rained off. If only. Anyway, our seats were in a shady part of the ground and save for part of the second match, we were sat in shade for the most of the day, which made it a lot more comfortable. We were also able to take a packed lunch into the grounds, although no alcohol, and we sat in one of the gardens eating it between matches which was nice. By the time we got home at 10pm, we were pretty tired, but it was a lovely end to the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment