Tuesday 12 December 2023

A Week of Catching Up W/E 11th December 2023

The week started with my working an extra shift on Sunday. I just had time to walk the dog before heading off to work. I'd picked up a click and collect order from work the night before, but had been disappointed that they'd sent the items in the wrong colour, so I returned them before starting work and bought the ones I wanted from the shop. I was able to get a staff discount, which I was very happy to receive. It saved me £5. I also bought a couple of extra things, namely some dog treats and an Xmas mug.

The shift was a very busy one. So much so, that I got a bit stressed at one point, the reason for which I can't go into, but eventually things settled down a bit. I did get a break this shift which was good. It was someone's birthday and there was a table full of donuts and chocolates in the staff room. I did have one quality street and a tangerine, but otherwise I was able to resist the temptation.

It was nice to get home by 6.30pm, eat at our normal time and then watch some TV and chill with OH.

Monday, was the first day in ages that I had a completely free day to do exactly as I pleased. It felt so good. After taking the dog for a walk, I decided that today was the day that the Xmas decorations were going to go up. OH got them out of the loft and I just got on with it. They don't look particularly amazing, but it felt really good to get this job done. 

I had a few other things to do today, there was a pile of washing to do and a stack of washing up that needed doing. I also started to make some Christmas party hats for the crackers I'm making. I downloaded a free template and cut them out of some felt I had. I also downloaded some free cracker jokes and printed them off. Both of these will be added to the crackers, along with a small gift. I still needed to make three crackers, but so far, it's been fun making them myself this year.  I will save £40 by making them and not buying some.

Later, OH was heading out to the cinema to watch a film about Napoleon.  I decided to stay home and start wrapping LB's Xmas presents.  She's coming home this weekend and I don't want her to be tempted to peep, so I wrapped them all. It's a big job done, which is good. It felt like a very productive day today, but I've still got lots of things to catch up on.

On Tuesday, I was booked into my usual class at the gym. Before setting off, I got a call asking me if I could do an extra shift at work in the evening, which I agreed to. The class was good and afterwards, I decided to walk down into the town centre. I needed to pick up a few things that I couldn't get from Lidl at the weekend.  I also dropped into Primark, to see if I could find something to wear for the work Xmas party and for Xmas day. I just wanted a sparkly top or something festive. I found a jumper in a charity shop, but it wasn't sparkly. It should be okay though.

On Wednesday, I was up early and went out with the dog.  I met OH at the allotment. He had dug it over ready for the winter. Someone on the site has arranged a manure delivery for Monday next, so it's now all ready to have the manure spread and be left to do it's own thing for the winter, which is great. 

Here's a picture taken through the fence of what it looks like:


I was determined to set aside some time to do some sewing on Wednesday and really make progress with making the Xmas crackers, so when I got back, I spent a few hours up in the sewing room. I got the crackers machine sewn, I then just needed to hand stitch the barrels and add ribbons. 

 I also made the final fairisle bauble to put on the tree:


I was so glad to get these items made, as it completes the makes I wanted to finish in time for Christmas and I can now focus on my current quilt, as and when I get any free time.

I ended up having a late lunch at 3pm, as I wanted to finish all the machine sewing. I got a call from work asking me to go in again today, but I politely declined, as I've already done two unscheduled shifts this week and I'm working three more nights towards the end of the week. I just need a bit of time to spend at home doing stuff I need to get done. 

Anyway, I spent the rest of the afternoon hand sewing the crackers. It felt good to get them finished.  I'll post a picture next week when I've finished making the hats and filling them with jokes and gifts.

I made a mistake on one of them, with regard to the direction of the fabric print, so I made the fabric into another Xmas tissue holder instead. Here it is:



I made it in a slightly different way to the previous ones, because I forgot how I had made them, so I ended up binding the ends, but it works just as well.

On Thursday, I was booked into the gym for a session, so headed there after walking the dog. It was qetting late by the time I got home and had lunch, so I got ready for work.

I messaged with LB today to find that she's been having a difficult time recently, which I wish I'd known. She's home for a night this weekend, so I'm really looking forward to seeing her. I can't wait until she's home for Xmas next week.

Work was okay. It was fairly busy, so it passed reasonably quickly. I drew the name of the person I need to buy a gift for in the Secret Santa tonight. I had no clue what I was going to buy for them, but I'll  find something. Why did I opt in? I forgot what a nightmare it is.

On Friday, I woke early and got up and ready to go out and do the weekly shop. With LB coming home this weekend, working on Saturday night and the work party on Sunday evening, it was going to be a busy couple of days, so I didn't want to have to find time for it over the weekend.

I spent way too much money, but I did buy lots of food for Xmas at very good prices. The joint for Xmas Day was half price. I couldn't decide between beef or lamb, so I bought one of each. We'll have one for Xmas and one for New Year.  They went straight into the freezer and I will thaw one out on our journey up to Yorkshire.

Friday night I was working, so it was a busy day. I was so glad to get home and just chill and watch some TV.

On Saturday morning I went to the last over 50's free gym session until late January. I'll miss these sessions over the next few weeks. I enjoyed it and was glad I went.

LB came home on Saturday afternoon. It was so lovely to see her and to chat and catch up. 

Work asked me if I could do a shift on Sunday, but I declined, as I wouldn't get to see LB if I went in. I was already working later on Saturday evening from 5pm to 10pm. It ended up being a manic shift. I was back in my original section, but it was a mess and tidying it up was hard work. We worked hard on it all night and I was very glad to leave at 10pm and go home. 

Later that night, we were invited to the same party as LB, at a neighbour's house. (She's a friend of their son) They are leaving London after many years living here. It was nice to be invited and we just went for an hour to wish them well, as OH was cycling early in the morning. 

So, it's been a busy week. I'm glad to get to the end of it if I'm honest. Time seems to speed up as Christmas approaches. I really don't know where it goes. 


3 comments:

  1. Time definitely speeds up as Christmas approaches. You have had a very busy week.

    I hope LB got a bit of a break from her week coming home to visit with you for awhile.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a busy manic time of year,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you had a bad time at work (whatever the reason was) and also that LB has not been having a good time either. I had a colleague who has been having an awful time too and he ended up in my music room at work telling me all and I felt so bad for him- all I could do was listen, reassure him as to his worth and let him know I cared. Sometimes that is all we can do. I hope you had someone to do that for you.
    I love your fairisle decoration!x

    ReplyDelete