Monday 12 July 2021

Weekly Blog - W/E 10th July 2021

This week began with OH being away at his parents for a night after attending a cycling event outside of London. When I woke up on Sunday morning, I indulgently laid in bed reading for at least an hour. It's the  perfect way to relax after the busy day I'd had at work the day before. Eventually, I got up and got dressed, as I needed to take the dog for a walk. It rained for a while though, so we didn't get out until around 11 am.  

By the time we got back it was 1 pm, so I gave the dog some food and then I started on the big pile of washing up that had accumulated over the past 3 or so days. Once that was done, I picked some salad out of the raised beds in the garden and made some lunch with it. We're trying desperately hard to use it all before it bolts and has to be composted.

I then pottered around and caught up with a bit of YouTube watching, until OH came home around 3 pm.  We caught up on the news from his weekend and then I decided to sort out some of LB's washing. This in turn led me to clean out her bedroom, which was in a terrible state. I'd been nagging her for weeks to tidy it and get on top of her washing, but with working long shifts in the restaurant and then wanting to chill or go out with friends on her days off, she never seemed to get around to it.

Anyway, I'd had enough of it being a tip, and as she was at work, I decided to tackle it myself.  It took a couple of hours to sort through the clothes that were all over the floor, put away any clean clothing, change the bedding, put some washing on (I ended up doing 3 loads - one whites, one bed linen and one towels) and then I vacuumed the room. I also found a skirt with a broken zip, so I replaced the zip to make it wearable again. Despite my efforts, there's still a laundry basket full of what looks like winter clothing and a big IKEA bag of dark clothing to wash, but I didn't have anywhere left to hang them.

It felt very satisfying to finally tackle this room and it was a nice surprise for her to come home from work to a clean room with fresh bedding and most of her washing done. I know she won't keep it like that for long though. I don't know where she gets her messiness from. Definitely not from me.

In the evening, OH and I just chilled watching The Handmaid's Tale on TV and I got on with removing more paper pieces from my quilt. A productive day for a Sunday, which I usually spend doing very little of note.

On Monday, I did some more washing for LB and hung it out on the line outside as the weather was fine. I then put away some laundry that had been kicking around since last week and put on a load of washing for myself and OH.

I needed to go out and do a small top up shop and use the £10 voucher I'd earned at Lidl last week, so I did that. I spent a couple of hours ironing in the afternoon and finally got to the bottom of the ironing basket. Not a very exciting day, but productive enough.

Tuesday was a work day and when I got to work, another lovely volunteer was tackling the Gift Aid, so I busied myself with other things that needed doing and helped her where necessary. Between us, we got quite a lot of work done on the clothing. One of our volunteers is leaving this week, as she has got a paid job within our charity. She'll be missed in our shop, as she has a lovely personality. I booked a table in a local pub for us to go for a drink after work on Saturday, her last day. 

When I got home from work, both of the orders I made at the weekend had arrived, which was good. I was disappointed with one item though from ASOS, I'll tell you more about it in another post. It will be going back which is a hassle.

I spent Tuesday evening watching an interesting programme about Agatha Christie. I'm not fit for much more than flopping in front of the TV after a day at work.

On Wednesday, I had a very lazy and long lie in, mainly because I hadn't slept well. Then I read my book for a while before finally dragging myself out of bed. OH has taken to taking the dog out on days when I'm not at work, which often suits me as I don't have to rush to get up. 

Once up I went into LB's bedroom again and tidied up again, took the washing off the dryer and put it into piles for her to put away. I did another wash for her too and mended another favourite item of clothing for her whose strap had broken. She was at work again all day and evening due to the England match being on and the pub being fully booked. She wasn't looking forward to it after working previously when England were playing. I'm hoping it's not too bad this time around.

Later, I put away some of our laundry and pottered for most of the day. I was feeling a bit uninspired today and just wanted a quiet homey kind of day. Later, I picked the remaining fruit from the garden and made another pot of jam. There are more blackcurrants at the allotment, but they are not ripe yet, so I'll have to use them later.

OH wasn't too happy today, as he received a speeding ticket from his journey back to London on Sunday, which will mean points on his licence. Bless him. Not  a very nice surprise to receive through the post.

Back to work on Thursday and I was back on the Gift Aid. There was a very big donation too, so it took me all day to clear the cage.

Friday, I stayed home for the most part and just got on with small jobs and more washing and ironing.

On Saturday, I was working and as I mentioned earlier, after work I'd booked a table at a pub not far from the shop, to celebrate one of our volunteers leaving, having got a new job. A few of us had drinks with her and the Shop Manager had made a cake to celebrate. It was a nice evening and a nice sociable end to the week.




No comments:

Post a Comment