Monday 3 May 2021

A Bit of Bank Holiday Thrifting and A Couple of Freebies

I haven't done much thrifting lately, due to Charity shops being closed until a few weeks ago. Being back at work in a Charity Shop, I kept seeing a few bits and pieces that I wanted to buy, so when I got paid last week it was as good a time as any to pay for them and bring them home on Saturday.

The items I bought were mostly quite practical things and all but one related to the garden. Firstly, I bought this shallow trug to use for weeding, potting, harvesting from the allotment. It looks to be quite good quality and I'm sure we can make good use of it. I like the fact that it is shallow, as I've not seen any like this before.


Also for the garden, I bought this new unused hand trowel. Most of our hand tools have gradually corroded or the handles have broken off and I needed a decent one. I could probably still do with a new hand fork too, but I'll just have to wait until I see one. This looks good quality though and should come in very useful once planting out weather arrives.

The last item I bought for the garden was this pretty verdigris effect candle sconce, to attach to the wall outside the back door. I thought it might be nice to put some candles in it and light them if we ever sit out at night. I decided it was probably better not to attach it to a wooden fence, as it might pose a fire risk, so the wall it will have to be.


Finally, from the shop where I work, I also bought this very heavy and sturdy lock for my bike.  I won't be using it when I cycle to work, as it is too much weight to carry on the long ride and I don't actually need a lock, as I store my bike in a cupboard at work, but when I need to cycle locally, it will be useful to ensure my bike doesn't get stolen, like my last one did in my local area.

On Sunday, whilst I was out walking the dog, I stopped for a look in my local Little Free Library and found these two books that appealed to me. They both looked like a good read, so they came home with me for free.


Then on the way home on the dog walk, I took a peek in the window of my favourite local Charity Shop. This was fatal, of course, as I saw a lovely fabric there that I just couldn't resist. I didn't have any money on me, so I had to walk the dog home and then come back, but luckily it was still there. 


It was this waxed cotton fabric and there was about 6 yards of it for £10, which probably works out at about £2 per metre.  I haven't bought any fabric for ages and I don't really need any more, but I couldn't resist this as I love a monochrome print, so this one just had to come home with me. I'll find something to use it for, maybe a skirt, another apron and bag for work, some more quilting or other projects about the house.

Whilst there, I also bought these Topshop patent ankle boots with a pointy toe. I really like them because they have a low heel and the pointed toe is quite flattering. They will dress up any outfit for a special occasion.  They are brand new and I paid £5 for them, reduced from £10.


The only other things I bought were these two fiction books for £1.25 for the two and this lovely little vintage style bird brooch for £2.50, which I think is really sweet.


Quite a spendy Bank Holiday for me, which is unusual of late, but I just felt like a little splurge after a few low spend months. Hopefully, this has now scratched the itch and I can get back to my low spend habit.

Have you been to any Charity Shops lately?


3 comments:

  1. Some really good, useful things there. The bird brooch is beautiful and I love the boots.

    I've been quite successful charity shopping for my wardrobe reboot, not much left on my wants list now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it that the handles of garden tools seem to deteriorate so quickly? Same problem here.

    You got some really nice charity finds and that fabric is awesome.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Middle England is on my book list to read - let me know how you find it. Love the fabric - hope you will put some pictures on when you make something with it.

    ReplyDelete