Sunday 9 August 2020

My New Weekend

For the last six weeks or so, I've been experiencing a new weekend.  It starts on Saturday night when I finish work for the day and ends on Tuesday morning, when I return to work.  I'm actually really enjoying it. Working alternate days on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays has been working out perfectly, as I get a rest day between the bike commutes and then get two days of weekend on Sunday/Monday. It might not last for much longer though, as from the week after next we will be opening the shop for longer hours and an extra day, so things may change. I'd better enjoy it while I can.

I have been sleeping in the sewing room/spare bedroom for the last few nights, whilst it has been very hot. I've been using just a vintage sheet on the bed and leaving the window wide open to let some air in. It's been a good excuse to use some of my vintage linen that I keep under the bed, after all, what's the point of keeping it if I don't use it.  As a consequence, I have stayed nice and cool and have been getting good nights of sleep, thankfully. As the room is at the back of the house, I don't have any anxiety about leaving the windows open on hot nights, which I do when I sleep in our bedroom, as it is at the front of the house and I worry that someone might try to climb in. OH has no such worries!

Today, I woke up, read my book and then suddenly felt compelled to put together the fabric to make another quilt for the living room.  Sleeping in a room full of fabric can inspire you that way, besides, the two quilts we've been using for the past couple of years are starting to look a bit tatty now the room has been redecorated and they don't really fit in with the colour scheme. Anyway, I got up and got out suitable fabrics, which I then cut to size and the quilt is now ready to sew together.  I have one old single duvet left, to use as the wadding and I think the fabrics I've used will work well in the room as it is now. I have washed the old quilts and have stored them away for use if ever LB has any sleep overs with friends or we need extras in the winter. I'm looking forward to a break in the weather though, as I'm not a lover of hot weather unless I'm at the beach or by a pool. I've been keeping cool indoors.

This week has been a good week.  OH has made progress on some of the final bits that needed finishing in the living room and other reception room.  The floors have now been re-varnished and the hearths re-painted and we've been able to open it all back up and enjoy the space.  It has made a real difference to the feel of the house, making it feel much more spacious after having the rooms closed off  from one another. We just need to paint a shelf and hang a few pieces of artwork and it's done. I'll post the results when it's totally finished. It's exciting as we are now almost ready to move on and decorate the hallway, which is definitely the shabbiest part of the house.


Talking of the living room, we're hoping to replace the bay windows later this year under the Government's forthcoming initiative to help house owners make their homes more energy efficient. They are currently single glazed and we want to replace them with double glazing.  We'd like to get our bedroom and LB's bedroom windows replaced as well, but it depends on how the scheme pans out in reality. Is anyone else thinking of getting work done under this initiative when it begins in September?

In other news, we took advantage of the Eat Out to Help Out initiative on Wednesday evening and went to a local Mediterranean restaurant. The food (and Prosecco) was good, but social distancing and other precautions were virtually absent. No hand sanitiser as you walked in, no social distancing markings, staff didn't wear masks or visors when serving and most tables were occupied, so people were seated quite close together. We were quite surprised.  We'll try somewhere else next week. I think we're going to try to use the scheme once per week whilst it runs. Next week, we'll maybe go out for lunch instead of the evening.

We also booked a UK staycation this week.  There were very few self catering properties available, but we managed to book for four nights in Suffolk in a cottage in September, before LB goes back to college. We're really looking forward to the break, as we haven't been out of London for 6 months. It was a relief to find something to be honest, especially somewhere where we can take the dog too.

I met my friend at the gym and tried a new class this week too.  Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it. Let's just say it was too punitive, on account of the instructors style of ?teaching. I won't be doing it again, which is a pity, as it would be good to meet my friend every week and it's on a day when I don't work. The parking charges have gone up at the gym too, which is very annoying. I used to be able to pre-pay for vouchers and they cost 30p each, but now I have to pay £1.50 for two hours, which makes classes  more expensive, so I won't be paying for classes I don't enjoy, that's for sure.

When I left the gym, I went on to Mile End Vintage and filled another small bag for £10. I bought some interesting items including a genuine short Japanese kimono which needs a bit of a repair. I may do a post when everything is washed and repaired.

It's been an interesting week anyway.  How's your week been?








1 comment:

  1. It sounds as if things are really coming together in your living room and I know we were very happy when we replaced the old windows in our place. Not at all drafty any longer.

    Glad you found a place to get away to.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete