Sunday 29 March 2020

My Vintage Wardrobe - Part 1

It's been six months now, since I decided to revert back to wearing vintage clothing and I don't have any regrets so far. I'm just not tempted by modern clothing, unless it has a vintage feel, and many items do in the cyclical world of fashion, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

I now feel that I've got a good selection of vintage clothes at my disposal.  There's a couple of things I don't have and am still hunting out, namely a flattering A line midi skirt and a vintage jacket, but to be honest a couple of coats I own have worked pretty well this winter. I'd also like to find a flattering pair of vintage trousers too, but it can take time to find something I like and enjoy wearing.

Just before Christmas, I paid a visit to a Charity shop on our local high street.  It was a small charity, set up by a local lady, who unfortunately died recently and as a consequence, the shop has now closed. I wasn't intending to go in, as I was just on my way to the opticians, but I saw that there was a 50% off sale advertised, so I couldn't resist a peek.

All told, I spent about £10 on 4 items of clothing including this amazing dress, which will be perfect for going dancing. 



It has a 1940's feel about it and is quite tight fitting, but is very stretchy and with the right underwear should look okay. It cost £3. I was so happy to buy this and add a bit of glamour to my wardrobe. 



I also bought this sweater from this shop. It's a modern sweater, but I felt had a kind of 40's feel to it.  I like to wear it over long sleeved blouses, such as this one I bought new from M&S in their sale for £8. It has a horseshoe print on it. The sweater also cost £3, which was a steal.

Talking of shirts/blouses, they have definitely become staple items in my new wardrobe.  I never used to wear shirts, but I really enjoy wearing them these days, especially in the winter with a sweater over the top. I have several short sleeved sweaters that look nice over the top of a blouse or collared shirt.



Another much worn recent purchase has been these lace up brogue ankle boots that I bought on eBay. They are so comfortable and I can painlessly wear them all day at work.  They are great to dance in too, as they allow a bit of swivel. I paid £8 for them and they look great with skirts and trousers alike.  They've needed re-heeling a couple of times, but recently I've found a local small shoe repair shop and they have put much more hard wearing heels on them that should last a lot longer, which is great, as I wear these daily and just love them.

I got a few Xmas presents from OH and LB this year that were vintage or vintage style.  My absolute favourite was a navy blue tweed wool Miss Marple scarf. Here's the same scarf but in a different colour. I liked it so much and wore it so much, that I decided to invest in two more. One teal, one black.



I've worn one almost every day since Christmas. They are handmade and were all bought from the same seller on Etsy.  I just love them.



I  also bought this lovely crepe pleated vintage clutch bag on Etsy.  I love it. It's so small and beautifully made and will fit nicely in my coat pocket when I go dancing.

A couple more acquisitions include this lovely royal blue pussy bow blouse that I bought from a charity shop a few weeks ago for £2.99. It's a lovely bright colour.


On the same shopping excursion, I also bought this beautiful repro dress for £3.99. When I checked the brand out on line, it's called Stop Staring, dresses cost over £100 new, so I was very happy to add this one to my wardrobe.  It is a little snug, shall we say, but I'm hoping to fit into it better at some point in the near future and was worth buying just to give me some incentive to lose a bit of weight.



This grey sweater from Mango, which was bought from the CS where I work, also works well in my new wardrobe.  I like the tie at the neck and slightly puffed shoulders.  It's really sweet.




I think you can sense the themes. Tie neck/collared blouses, sweaters, skirts, dresses, co-ordinating accessories. It's not too difficult to put a vintage style look together and it's great fun too.

I hope you've enjoyed part one of my new vintage wardrobe. There's much more to share in part two coming soon.

4 comments:

  1. Love seeing your vintage style wardrobe!

    My Mom knit me a scarf just like that in white. I have been thinking of knitting some in brighter colours.

    God bless..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you have an individual style, so many people wear the same clothes. Most of my clothes are years old, I am often asked where did you get that, I always reply you should be asking when!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much like these pieces! Oooh, you did well with that Stop Staring dress! They always sell well!!! I got a Tara Starlet dress in a charity shop which I was pleased about as they are similarly expensive though I am actually thinking of culling it as it is a bit low cut for me- it DOES fit perfectly though because of the boning in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your vintage wardrobe, I really love those styles and you got some bargains too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete