Tuesday 31 March 2020

More Garden Progress and a Few Financials

I did a bit more work in the garden the other day. Our raised beds were full of foxglove and forget me not plants that had self seeded and were preventing us from sowing some salad seeds.


As a consequence, and not wanting to waste good garden plants, I dug them out and put them into one of the borders to make a kind of woodland corner and used some to add a bit of colour to other areas. Notice I left the track the dog has made in the border unplanted. No point wasting my time, just for her to trample anything I put there to death.



Once cleared, OH could then add some compost from our hot bin and start sowing lots of lettuce seeds. He also made a few adjustments to the raised bed covers to prevent squirrels getting in and disturbing the seeds. We've had this problem for a few years now and last year they ruined all our seedlings, so we didn't actually manage to grow any lettuce in the garden. Hopefully, this year we'll have more luck.

As well as sowing lettuce seeds, OH also sowed lots of other seeds into trays and pots. They are currently residing on window sills in the kitchen now the weather has turned colder, but at least we've made a start to the growing season.

I also did a bit of re-potting of one indoor plant and a mulberry tree that we bought last year.  It desperately needed potting on, but now looks a lot happier.

I tackled the front path too.  It had layers of fallen leaves trodden into it.  I'll admit that I had to get a hoe to scrape the leaves off the concrete path, before I could sweep them up. It looked a lot better once done though and is much less slippery under foot as a consequence.

I now just need to tackle the end of the garden. As I've mentioned before, it is a bit of a dumping ground at the moment. I just want to clear it and maybe rearrange the paving stones to make it look a bit tidier. With DIY stores closed, there's not a lot else we can do for the moment.

I read today that £200 million worth of plants grown by nurseries will have to be destroyed this year, causing them to suffer from severe financial hardship. It breaks my heart to think of all those wonderful plants going to waste. So sad for the people who've grown them too.

Our financial situation isn't great at the moment, but we are relatively lucky.  I am being furloughed on 80% of my part-time salary for the next two months, or however long this lockdown lasts. I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones, who should hopefully still have a job at the end of this, although there is no guarantee of there not being redundancies and shop closures in the future.

OH on the other hand, who works for himself from home, is finding that the work is very much drying up. We are considering a mortgage break, which our mortgage allows anyway, to take the pressure off. Hence, my reduced salary will be much needed to see us through.

Fortunately, we are not spending much money being at home and having plenty of food already.  We just top up mostly fresh items each week. I think I am going to brave the supermarket this afternoon. OH went this time last week and said it wasn't too busy, so I'm hoping it will be the same this week.  I'm slightly nervous at the prospect, as I haven't been out anywhere, save to walk the dog locally, for over two weeks now. You very soon become very cosseted in your own home and become almost anxious about going out.

I've been trying to keep in touch with friends, some volunteers and work colleagues on a fairly regular basis. I finally joined Facebook recently, something I've resisted for years. It was mainly to view dance videos from some of the classes I used to do, but should prove useful whilst on furlough. I've just been notified that a new personal Facebook group for Shop Managers in our area has been set up, which is great, as we will all now be able to keep in touch during the furlough and know if everyone is ok, or support them if they are not.

I hope you are all keeping well and busy and managing during this challenging time.

6 comments:

  1. That is heartbreaking about the plants in nurseries! Such a waste! I'm sorry to hear about OH's work drying up. I feel lucky to be a teacher with our salary standing at the moment.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. We're a lot better of than some people so we can't really grumble. I bit of hardship will do us good.

      Delete
  2. As long as I can stay busy I can almost forget what is happening. Then I go for a walk on our deserted streets, see all the stores with closed signs on them and say a prayer that all will be okay.

    Your garden looks wonderful. We are getting snow again right now. I sometimes despair that spring has forgotten us.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when you're safely at home a lot of what's going on outside passes you by, but sometimes the odd story in the news really penetrates the bubble, usually the sad ones unfortunately.

      Delete
  3. You have been keeping busy which is good as it is easy to watch tv although there isn't much worth watchiing sometimes. I have been out in the garden too, just tidying up and helping my husband as he has been repaving some of our borders, so I do the tidying up afterwards! Its autumn down here so the weather has been really nice, not too hot but getting cooler at night. Rain was forecast today but so far nothing. Most places here are closed, just food shops and restaurants are doing take-away but I am still cooking and finding it fills part of my day as we are only going out to shop for food fortnightly. The supermarket shelves are quite empty now even though the news reports say there is no shortage, hard to understand why. Hope you get your finances sorted as it must be a worry for you. We are worred for our adult children too as they have mortgages as well and children in expensive schools so we might have to help out if we can in some small way. Hope you stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ventured out to the supermarket for the first time in two weeks yesterday. Big mistake. There were huge queues around the car parks of two different stores and a one out one in policy so I just came back home and went to small local shops to get what we needed. I got most of it though.

      Delete