Friday 27 April 2018

A Shopping Day

Today, I spent the afternoon shopping, for food mostly. I went to Waitrose on this occasion as I had some £10 off a £50 spend vouchers to use up.  Although I only grocery shopped last Sunday, I don't have the car this coming Sunday and will be back at work on Monday, and as I didn't want to hit the supermarket on Saturday, I went today to buy groceries for next week. Such are the vagaries of ever changing work days.  Fixed days to work would make life so much easier, but it's not my lot unfortunately.

Anyway, it was nice to drive out to a large Waitrose for a change and have a change of scenery. I managed to bag the odd bargain, such as some Benecol yoghurts for 99p (they're normally £2.70). I bought three packs, as they've got a month on them before they expire.

I also got a free daily newspaper and the Waitrose magazine for free, as well as my £10 off. It was also useful to be able to pick up a couple of bags of the dog's favourite dry food.  She's very picky, but she eats one that I can buy in Waitrose.  All in all a good shop and we should be sorted now until the latter end of next week, save for picking up some more milk.

On the way home, I decided to stop off at a local TK MAXX. I know I'm not supposed to be spending money on new stuff at the moment, but I needed some retail therapy.  I've been very good this month and have hardly bought anything other than food.  As it turned out, I bought very little.  I was looking for some new tea/coffee canisters for the kitchen, but didn't actually find any I liked.  Instead, I just bought one very cute white tea cup on clearance, a summery shade of nail varnish and some new perfume.

I'm almost out of perfume. I've been using up some old bottles that belonged to LB and I'm down to the last one, so it won't be long before I need some more. The nail varnish was completely unnecessary, but not a huge indulgence.  We all need one from time to time.

There's been a few things going on at home and at work this week that have upset me, so I just needed a little outlet for my feelings and shopping felt good.  I know this is a dangerous and slippery slope, but I managed to control myself to a large degree. I didn't even need to put the items I bought on my credit card this month, as I'm finding that I actually have money left at the end of the month these days.  This constitutes a dramatic transformation with regard to my finances and is still a novelty for me.

I think I scratched the itch. The test will be whether I spend any more money over the weekend.




2 comments:

  1. Sometimes retail therapy is just what we need. I know even window shopping makes me happy at times.

    Hopefully things are better next week.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete