Thursday 31 August 2017

Monthly Roundup - August

Back in London and it's reconciliation time with regard to the finances. It's been an exciting month this month, what with getting my first wage from the temporary job at the CS.  It has made things a lot easier all round and I have to admit to a few indulgences as a consequence, but I'm hoping I can be forgiven those.

All told, I was overspent again in most of the budgets, save for Food, in which I was £136.91 under budget.  This was mainly because the first and last weeks of the month we spent away and OH footed the bill for most of the food.  The surplus then became my spending money for both holidays, some of which was spent on food, but I don't keep track when I'm on holiday, because I'm on holiday! I just spend my spending money and nothing else.  In fact I didn't even do that this last time, as I came home with nearly 20 euros to spare, which is all good.  They'll go towards our next European holiday, whenever that might be.

Household expenditure was over by £24.33 this month, mainly because I had to buy some of the expensive shampoo I use and I bought two bottles which was more economical and which came to £20 or so.  I also had to purchase a large box of doggie bags as we ran out, but these will last a good few months now.

The Misc. budget went over by just £5.09 which was an improvement. No big expenditures here, just small expenditures on gifts/cards/gym car park tickets/a magazine and a new umbrella

My personal budget was over by £42.42 due to buying some new underwear and socks, a new rain mac, sweater, jeans and bag, plus a book too.  This was by way of a treat to myself for all my hard work at the CS these last two months really.

LB's budget was even more overspent at £55.96 over.  This was mainly due to uniform and other clothing purchases, plus I gave her an extra £30 pocket money to spend in the summer holidays when she was out and about with her friends. OH usually gives her pocket money, but due to having a bit more money myself I gave her some too. It's expensive being a teenager!

I did go £10 under budget on travel expenses this month though, which was a bonus, mainly due to two weeks of not being at work due to holidays/being out of London, etc.

Finally, the home budget was overspent by just £1.96, which was acceptable.  I bought a new casserole dish and some other small bits and bobs for the house this month.

The best thing about this month though, was that I was able to pay over £300 off my overdraft, which was wicked.  There's just under £400 left on it and I'm hoping to break the back of it this coming month. With no extra expenses planned this month and whilst still working at the CS and getting slightly more this month as I completed a full month there, I should be able to pay a fair bit off the balance. (Hopefully all, if I manage keep on track with spending)

I've still got uniform to buy for LB, namely trainers and a few other bits and pieces. There's a few more bits I'd like for the house, but only small things and more new gym gear for me if I can find any I like. I also do need to stock up on a few toiletries that I've run or am running out of, but otherwise there's not a lot I need or want.

If I can hold it all together and keep my head down, I might even be out of any debt by my birthday in October.  Wouldn't that be great.  I could start my 51st year actually living within my means and hopefully continuing to do so from then on.  I'll keep you posted on how that goes.



2 comments:

  1. I am sure that you will make it by your birthday and then no doubt you will be able to maximise your new income because you have already got your spending well under control. I think it is always nice to be able to treat yourself when you have been working hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a lovely holiday and that always brings up the spending, no matter what one does to curb it. I know that this month is going to be a bad one as we head into the mountains for a bit of a break.

    You will be able to rein it in over the next few months.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete