Saturday 10 June 2017

Still Simplifying - May

This month, I've just been continuing in the same vein as last month, thoroughly cleaning and decluttering the house, room by room.  I finally started the Flylady's detailed zone cleaning and this has helped me sort out more things to donate and really get down to keeping only the things we need, like or use on a regular basis, more particularly in the kitchen, my bedroom and LB's room.

LB's room, for example, still contained lots of outgrown toys that I haven't decided what to do with.  We did declutter a large bag of toys, but many of the remaining ones were quite expensive, which makes it hard to just donate them and I'm not sure I want to sell them, so I'm still thinking about what to do with them. I did, however, clean a few of the larger plastic toys thoroughly, by putting them in the bath and spraying them with the shower hose, so at least if I do decide to sell them, they are looking a lot less dusty.

Next month, I haven't really got any major simplifying plans lined up, but I will be zone cleaning in the spare room/sewing room at some point, so I will probably try to have a good declutter in there. The bed is currently laden with donations waiting to be taken to the next Give and Take, the date of which is 24th June, so once I can take everything, it will make a big difference to this room.  There is a box and large storage bag of items to take to the charity shop this month, but it won't made a huge dent in the pile.

Other than tackling this room, I don't have any other simplifying plans, unless any occur to me during the month.  I may have a cull of some of the books on the shelves in the dining room/second reception room, as this room will be zone cleaned in the first week of the month and I know that I am unlikely to read many of the books again. I think, perhaps, that it is a good time to let go of some of them, as the house will get very dusty if and when any building work commences, and they will need to be packed away or covered to prevent this.

I'll keep you updated on progress.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment on my newly restarted blog. I do admire your organisation, the way you are tackling jobs systematically, and I am sure that is the only way to do it. I'm a bit haphazard.... I see something that needs doing, and do it. That often leads to lots of other jobs, you know how one thing can lead to another! But it gets done as and when necessary... we don't live in squalor, but I'm sure there are certain cleaning gurus who'd break out in a cold sweat if they saw it! I am meticulous about disinfecting work surfaces, taps and so on as I have no immune system so have to be careful about bugs. And it is rather satisfying seeing it all done isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it most definitely is. It's the first time I've really tried to get a system going and stick to it and I'm quite enjoying it. I used to do a thorough clean when we had visitors coming or it got so bad I felt compelled to do it, so this is a bit of an improvement.

      Delete