Monday 5 June 2017

A Strange Week and a Shopping Day

It was a strange week here, last week.  The Bank Holiday weekend was very quiet.  LB was off enjoying herself with her friends every day, and the half term week was pretty much more of the same. 

I felt a bit redundant if I'm honest. It's just as well that I was working at the CS for two days during half term holiday, or I would have been twiddling my fingers at home waiting for LB to come home. (Well, maybe not, but you know what I mean).

I guess we're facing another transition in the household, whereby LB is getting more and more independent and busy with her own social life, leaving me feeling a bit surplus to requirements. OH is busy with his business or cycling, so it doesn't affect him much, but I've been feeling it a bit.

Please don't think for a minute that I begrudge her her independence. I really don't.  I'm very grateful that she has found her tribe, and that she is happy to hang out with them. After all, you want your children to be happy, social creatures. I guess I'm just learning to let go.

I did get to spend some time with LB on Thursday afternoon.  She met me from my Zumba class at 11am and we headed to the high street where we live, to do a few errands.

We visited the central library, where I took some books back and borrowed a whole bunch more.  I seem to have got through the stock of non-fiction books that interest me at our local library, and this library is much bigger, so I found lots of books I liked here.



Consequently, I took home 7 personal finance books, which should keep me going for the majority of this month. A couple of them are on the subject of finances in retirement, which isn't pertinent just yet, but I'm doing some research, to make sure I'm getting on the right track with regard to investing for retirement.

We also did a bit of shopping and June's budget took a bit of a hit, as I bought LB a few bits in a couple of shops, using money from her budget, of course.  I also bought a couple of things for me, which wasn't so good, as I really didn't need this new pair of black suede sandals, but wanted them because they I liked the way they looked on and they were new (in a CS).



I wore them for the rest of the day and they're pretty comfortable, so I think I'll get good use out of them this summer and hopefully beyond.

I also bought myself a t-shirt to wear at the CS this summer.  It's light and a bit transparent, but can be worn with a vest underneath. I get so hot now the weather has warmed up and really need more and lighter clothing to wear on a daily basis. 


Finally, on my busman's holiday, I also found this lovely little photo frame in the CS for £3.50.  It's from The White Company. It is new and unused and I thought it would make a nice Xmas present, but I may actually keep it for us and put a photo in it.

The rest of the afternoon, was spent doing a mammoth grocery shop at Waitrose, Lidl, ASDA and Poundland, whilst LB went off to meet her friends again. A bit of a shopping marathon really, but I have probably bought enough food to make meals for at least the next two weeks, save for topping up on a few fresh items weekly. It felt very nice to stock up again, as things had really got down to the bare bones at the end of May.

When I got back, I spent the afternoon and some of Friday doing a bit of financial housekeeping to get me set up for another frugal month. (Hopefully!)

3 comments:

  1. Fab buys from the CS, I love those sandals, they look great. The picture frame is a lovely thing too, whether it's a gift for yourself or someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful bargains from the CS. Those sandals do look comfy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure you will find your new role soon it just takes a bit of adjustment when the independence phase arrives!
    The picture frame is a bargain - the White Company are not cheap to buy new. How good it must be to put on any pair of shoes and they feel comfy - I end up trying the whole shoe shop on to find one comfy pair my feet are so wrecked!

    ReplyDelete