Monday 29 May 2017

A Quiet Bank Holiday Weekend

We had a wonderfully quiet Bank Holiday weekend hanging out at home for the most part. So many times over the past 10 years, we've spent Bank Holidays traveling up to Yorkshire to visit family, so it's always a treat when we stay put and chill.

Living in London, as we do, we didn't really want to venture out into any very crowded spaces, due to the terror threat being so high this week, and as we'd been into the centre last weekend, we were very happy to stay home and potter. Thankfully, the threat has now been lifted slightly, but we're still being a little cautious for a while.

I managed a couple of hours at the allotment on Friday night, planting out some marigolds, a courgette plant, some kohl rabi and doing a bit more weeding around the plot. It's still coming along slowly.

I did a bit of job hunting on Friday night too and applied for a couple of salaried jobs online.  We'll see what happens, if anything.

On Saturday, I spent a couple of hours in the morning (whilst OH was out with the dog) doing a kind of Weekly Home Blessing, whereby I vacuum/mop the kitchen, hall, stairs, bedrooms, living rooms, and bathrooms.  It keeps me on top of things if I manage to do it every week.  Other than this, I've done hardly any other housework this weekend, save for a bit of washing and ironing and then having a quick tidy round on Monday night ready for the week ahead.

I followed this up by sitting down and reading a full weekend broadsheet newspaper, and I must say it was blissful.

This coming week, I will be cleaning in Zone 1, or the Living room and this should only take a couple of hours to clean, as it's probably one of the least cluttered rooms in the house. It's been good to have a short hiatus, to prevent me burning out on the cleaning front or getting bored with it all. I feel that I've earned it over the past few weeks.

On Saturday afternoon, OH was racing on the outdoor cycle track at the Olympic Park, so I agreed to go over and watch him, which was a departure for me.  As LB was out with her friends all day, it was nice to cycle over in the sunshine and take some photos of him in action. We then cycled home together.

Saturday night, was spent watching the third series of Hinterland, which has now finished and I have to say I quite enjoyed it, although it was a little dark. A third series of Bloodlines is now available on Netflix, so I'll be watching that next.

On Sunday morning, I went to my normal class at the gym, and came home to find that LB had locked herself and her friends out of the house, in the hour or so I'd been gone and left them to it.  Luckily, they'd all taken refuge with a very obliging neighbour. Teenagers!!

I did a free food shop for the week ahead at M&S in the afternoon, using my voucher, but otherwise it was a very leisurely day, doing very little. It's been a while since I've indulged myself, so I don't feel guilty in the slightest.  Isn't that what Bank Holidays are for? We did watch the new serialisation of A Handmaid's Tale on Sunday night, which was a little disturbing.  I'm pretty sure I've read the book, but can't remember it in detail.  I think we'll keep watching it.

Monday got slightly more productive, as I got myself into gear a little. I did a morning Zumba class at the gym and then paid another visit to the allotment to bank up my potato plants.  OH came to assist, as this is his area of expertise.

LB went out with some friends again to the local ice rink, so OH and I went out for lunch at a local café, before coming home and doing a few little DIY jobs around the house that we've been putting off.

Although we've not had a wildly exciting weekend, we've not spent heaps of money either and feel suitably rested and ready for a new week. I'm looking forward to this week and the start of new month.

I hope that you've had a good Bank Holiday weekend, whatever you've been up to.



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good bank holiday. Argh, you make me feel guity about the housework! I've done NONE today except for some washing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. we walked on the bank holiday and were completely soaked!!x

    ReplyDelete