Thursday 2 March 2017

Thursday Spring Cleaning

This afternoon, I made a radical decision (for me anyway), to do some spring cleaning. As anyone who's read my blog for a while will know, I'm not the most house proud person on the block and  I've been especially neglectful in the cleaning department lately. As a consequence, the living room and 2nd reception room were in a bit of a state, so I decided to set about thoroughly cleaning them.

I have to say that I was partly shamed into doing it, as a couple of weeks ago, I was horrified when I got back from walking the dog one Saturday afternoon, to hear that the mother of our neighbour had called round unexpectedly to find her son and his family out and had taken refuge in our house for a to watch the rugby with OH.  When I got in and looked around the room, it was in a pretty dire state with coffee stains on side tables and dusty surfaces (and no doubt the eau de dog everywhere - I think we're a bit noseblind these days) I was a bit embarrassed about what she might think. (Well for a minute or two at least).

Anyway, it took a few more weeks for me to finally get around to cleaning it, but now I have it feels very good. Everywhere has been dusted, hoovered, mopped, furniture pulled out and dust and dirt from underneath removed, cushion covers changed over and fabric surfaces sprayed with freshener. I can now finally sit in there of an evening and not feel guilty about the state of it.

Spring cleaning is actually a good way to keeping me out of the shops too.  I was thinking of going to the garden centre to get some potato tubers for the allotment, but instead I stayed home and cleaned.

With one room done, I think I might spend tomorrow cleaning too.  The hall, stairs, landings, bathroom and downstairs toilet will on my list to clean and then I'll probably give the bedrooms a hoover. (Spring cleaning them will probably have to wait for another time). I did mean to do some cleaning in February, but it just didn't happen.  Now the days are getting longer and the nights lighter, it's good to be able to let the light in and not see the dirt.

Is anyone else getting up to any spring cleaning?

6 comments:

  1. We're working our way round the house reorganising and cleaning bits and bobs. We had some new furniture arriving this morning so I was cleaning the floors and skirting boards before 8am. Always worth it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it feels good when you know that you've done a thorough job.

      Delete
  2. I try and do some extra cleaning every month. I make a list, sometimes the list is completed, sometimes not. Then I just add it to the next month.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good plan. I should really adopt something similar. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. I love a good spring clean - what a shame the weather is so wet - I am waiting to wash curtains, cushion covers and throws and get them out on the line to blow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree it's pretty miserable. I'm looking forward to a little sunshine at some point.

      Delete