Sunday 12 March 2017

Saturday Afternoon in the Garden

Like many other bloggers, I too spent part of Saturday in the garden.  It was sunny here and bright, so it was a good opportunity to tidy up a little bit.

Firstly, I set out my potato tubers on a tray and put them in the boiler cupboard to chit.  Then I ventured out into the garden and did a bit of pruning of my corkscrew hazels, which had quite a bit of dead wood in them.

(Notice I didn't rake the wood chip paths, I've almost given up on them, as the dog just scatters them as she runs around the garden - Big fail!)



Anyway, I hoed all the borders, save for the border on the left as the dog is constantly in there, so it never stays neat. I'll dig it over some other time. I swept the decking and then tidied up the covers on the raised beds, which has still had several visitations by foxes, despite all of my efforts.  What can you do?

I've got a few salad items that have overwintered and I could start to harvest them really.  Mustard leaves and this mizuna to be precise.


I sowed lots more lettuce seeds the other week which have started to germinate.  I can't wait to start harvesting my own home grown lettuces again.

I do need to buy some compost to start sowing some more seeds and also to re-pot a few things here and there. I hadn't really budgeted for it this month, but needs must.



The rhubarb I took out of my old allotment is coming through now.  Here it is planted in an old recycling box.  I may now transplant some of it into my new allotment. 

Having worked on our garden this weekend, next week I will be focusing on getting the new allotment up to scratch, in time for inspections at the end of the month.




2 comments:

  1. Hello there! I came over to visit after seeing your link in 'Nine till five's blog and fancied having a look at your garden! The raised beds look really good. Hmmm, planting some lettuces is a good idea. I am hoping to move at some point soon and so not sure whether to plant anything or not as I don't want to have to leave it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for stopping by and for you kind comments. The lettuce I've planted are early varieties so they'll be bolting by May/June - it depends how soon you are moving I guess.

      Delete