Friday 2 June 2023

Allotment Catch Up

On Tuesday morning, I arranged to meet OH down at the allotment in the morning. He was planting out lots of the plants he's bought and grown in pots in the greenhouse. By the time I got there (I got distracted), he'd gone off to walk the dog, so I took a look around and did a bit of weeding. 

Bindweed and brambles always creep in from the far corner, so I cleared that and then cut back an Ash tree that the committee want us to remove. We need to get around to doing this, as there's another inspection of plots at the end of June.

OH has been doing a fabulous job of managing our plot. He's in charge of it these days and as he seems to enjoy it, I let him get on with it. Over the summer though, it can get quite onerous watering and harvesting everyday, so I'll probably go along a lot more to help him. I also need to do some weeding on the plot. It's not too bad, but it could probably do with a bit of work, so that will be a task for me sometime in the near future.

It's looking pretty good though, so I decided to take a little video of the plot whilst I was there, but unfortunately the file was too big to load into Blogger.  Here's a couple of photos instead:





It's a pity about the video, but as you can see from the photos, (apologies for the quality) it's coming along nicely. We've currently got potatoes, beetroot, tomatoes, french beans, asparagus, dahlias, gooseberries, blackcurrants, blueberries, cucumbers, aubergine, courgettes, lettuce, strawberries, peas and raspberries growing and there's sweetcorn and runner beans still to plant out, so hopefully we should get plenty of food from it this year.

The gooseberries and blackcurrants don't actually have a lot of fruit on them this year, due to being pruned quite heavily, as the bushes were getting a bit unwieldy, but we have more growing in the garden at home and we usually get a good crop from the raspberries. Besides, we still have jam left from last year and brambles in the freezer, so hopefully we'll get enough to be self sufficient in jam again this year. I will probably be brambling again on dog walks later in the summer which usually provides quite a few jars.

I'll keep you posted as things start to crop.


2 comments:

  1. Your allotment looks darn good. I leave the weeding and such to Hubby and do the picking and processing of the bounty.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your allotment is looking good and full of lovely promise. I would love one, but it would be too much for me, and hubby does not have green fingers.

    ReplyDelete