Saturday 10 June 2023

Getting Healthier - W/E 10th June 2023

I thought I'd start this week's blog with a picture of my orange blossom bush in the garden. It's a bit of a monster, but it is so glorious when it's in full bloom and also smells divine. Here's a picture of my view of it from the sewing room:


It's a beautiful sight to behold and part of the reason I enjoy spending time in there some afternoons. The bush desperately needs cutting back, but I can't bring myself to do it until it has finished flowering, as it may not flower as well in future years as a consequence.

This week got off to a slow start. I took the dog for a long walk on Sunday morning, as OH was off at a cycling event in Cambridge.

I got a nice surprise on Sunday morning. I'd had another small win on the Premium Bonds, only £25, but I haven't won anything for a few months, so it was very welcome.

I spent most of the rest of the afternoon sewing, catching up on YouTubers I follow and napping (as I woke at 5am when OH got up). I also placed a couple of online orders, one for eco household products, as we desperately needed dishwasher tablets and another order from Temu.

On Monday, I went out to do the weekly shop as usual. It was another big shop, as we'd run out of quite a few things. I got 10% off my Lidl shop which saved me £7.20, but I also had to visit a few other shops to get all the things we needed, which included Home Bargains, B&M and Tescos.  I managed to restrain myself in these stores and just get what we needed.

On Tuesday, I decided that it was time to get a proper haircut in view of an upcoming wedding we are going to. LB has been doing a great job of cutting my hair for the past few years, but I wanted a few layers putting in and a fringe cutting, and besides, she's at Uni, so she can't do it for me on this occasion. I went to the salon I always go to and a lovely lady did my cut. It's not too different, but having a fringe is a big change for me, as I've not had one for decades. I like it, but I may have to learn to trim it myself.

It felt good to actually do something for me and my appearance. I have a habit of neglecting it and sometimes, something like a new haircut can really make a difference in your mindset and confidence levels.

On Wednesday, I made a big decision for me. I've decided to start a weight loss journey. I desperately need to lose some weight, have done for a while, but just haven't got serious about it. After watching Louises.Journeyxo on YouTube, I felt ready and motivated to get started. She keeps it real. 

In accordance with her advice, I've started a journal, taken measurements, weighed myself, taken before photos, etc. and today I monitored my normal calorie intake, so that I can work out what a calorie deficit daily intake is for me, then I can get started. It's long overdue. I'm taking it slow and hoping to lose the weight over a year or more. No quick fixes here, as there aren't any.

One of the first things I did was install a pedometer on my phone again and I was off. The dog walk racked up 3.800 steps, followed by another 7000 cycling to and doing my usual Soca Aerobics class. Who'd have thought it. The first negative shock was the 5 humbugs I often eat on the dogwalk - totalled 167 calories - more than the walk itself. I might have to find an alternative.

I washed my hair for the first time since going to the hairdressers in the evening and it dried okay without a hairdryer, which was good as I don't like to blow dry my hair. 

On Thursday morning, I headed off to a Pilates/Yoga fusion class. It was a women only class and was free. It took me about half an hour to walk there and 5000 steps in total there and back. I didn't measure steps in the class as it wasn't appropriate. I enjoyed it but I do find Pilates hard work. I've got a very weak core. That's why I need it so much, I think I'll go again.

Thursday, was my first day on a calorie deficit eating plan. My calorie intake is going to be 1800 calories. I carefully weighed everything I ate and wrote it in my journal. Some things are easy, as I eat them day after day and don't need to weigh or measure. Lunch was salad as usual. There aren't many calories in it, maybe 200 or so. I supplement with fruit and in this instance a low calorie jelly. I had to eat a few snacks in the afternoon, as I'd consumed very few calories in the morning, but they were mainly fruit. It wasn't that difficult to stick to the 1800 calories, I was pleasantly surprised. It just takes a bit of thought and restraint.

In the afternoon, I ventured to the allotment to do a bit of weeding of the plot and the paths as we've got an inspection coming up at the end of the month. The plot looks fine, but it will help to remove weeds, as what we have growing won't have to compete with them. It was very sunny and I came back hot and sweaty.

I've applied for a couple of jobs in the last couple of days. Not sure I'll hear anything. One required me to fill in several assessments with lots of repetitive questions. I don't think I did that well in them. You seem to have to have a perfect allround personality to get a job with some companies these day. Being someone who works hard isn't always enough. It makes me glad that I'm at the latter end of my working years to be honest. As I expected, the job with the assessment rejected me later in the week. I just don't have the right personality for them! Maybe I should just lie and tell them what I think they want to hear. Better still, maybe I won't apply for jobs that require this type of assessment in future, they seem like just another way to discriminate against people.

On Friday, I got up and went out with the dog. I was hoping to take her to an old favourite haunt, but when we got there (in the car, as it's too far for her to walk now she's nearly 11 and arthritic), I was disappointed to see that there were new parking restrictions, so I couldn't park anywhere. We then had to come back and go to another spot nearer home where I could take her for a different walk. 

Anyway, when we got back, I had lunch and then headed out to the gym as I'd booked myself in for a session. I took the bike and kept my phone on me, so that I could monitor my steps. 





I've bought a great little wrist band for going to the gym from Temu, plus some elasticated laces for my trainers.  No more tieing my shoelaces, my trainers now just pull on. They were both very inexpensive. The wrist band fits my door key, bike lock key and ear buds and can be used as a sweat band too. It's perfect. 

As I don't have any pockets in my workout wear, I also have a small bumbag that I keep my phone in to measure my steps and I sling it across my chest or round my waist as I'm exercising. It works a treat. Little things like these do make going to the gym and tracking your work out a lot easier. It's always the small things that make a difference. Makes me sound like a dinosaur, as most people just have a fit bit or smart watch.

The gym session was good, but I didn't have a lot of energy today. I don't think I'd eaten enough protein before going, something to remember for future gym visits.

When I got back from the gym, I needed to take a couple of books back to the library as they were due back. I made sure to walk and get more vitamin D and steps in. One of the books I had started to read, but wasn't loving, so I decided not to bother reading it. Life is too short to read a book you're not enjoying. There's way too many other things I could be doing that I do enjoy.

It's been a very health orientated week this week, I feel ready to take more care of myself, especially now that I've got more time. I'm happy enough with how it's going so far. Let's just hope I can stick to it.




2 comments:

  1. I really like that wrist band. Neat that it holds that much.

    The orange bush is beautiful and I wouldn't want to cut it back right now either.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is good to think about yourself, I am feeling much better with a few changes, sadly the weight is sticking, but I am moving more, which can only be good.

    ReplyDelete