Tuesday 30 May 2023

Another Bank Holiday Weekend

Another Bank Holiday weekend has passed and I'm getting used to enjoying them again, which I haven't really done for a while.

We didn't really have any plans. I just had a few jobs I wanted to tackle and OH was doing some cycle rides on a couple of the mornings.

On Saturday morning, OH went off on one such ride, so I got up and pottered about in the garden for an hour, doing a few small outstanding jobs that needed doing, i.e. potting on a rose bush, topping up the compost in my Mulberry tree pot and transferring/potting up a few self seeded foxgloves and fennel plants. I spent a while trying to help a big bumble bee escape from the greenhouse. It just couldn't find it's way out, but did eventually, thankfully, before it exhausted itself.

I then took the dog out for a walk. It started off a bit cloudy, but the clouds soon burned off and the sun came out which was lovely.

When I got back from the dog walk, I did a few household chores, made some lunch and then I tackled another job, which was to do some financial reckoning for the month. It took an hour or so, but I always feel better for keeping on top of things and knowing where I'm at. It was interesting to see how my pension forecast had changed due to the recent triple lock rise. I try to keep a close eye on my projected income at retirement, even though it is still 10 years away.

On Saturday afternoon, OH had to go out for a couple of hours, so I decided to do a bit of ironing. I managed to get most of it done by the time he came back.  Just a few items were left that I will do another time, as there are still more items drying on the airer that will need ironing. 

OH was out on Saturday night with his cycling friends. I stayed home and decided to pamper myself a little which was nice.

On Sunday, we decided to get up early and go to Columbia Road Flower Market. We probably haven't been for a couple of years and I just fancied a visit to maybe get some plants for the end of the garden. OH said he'd treat me. We set off at 8.15am and took the dog with us. We needed to go early as it gets very busy and then it's no fun.

Thankfully, when we got there, we realised that they have changed the market a little and now stalls run down just one side of the street instead of both.  This allows much more room for visitors and means less of a crush. Anyway, we wandered up and down the market.

Here are some photos:





Aside from the flowers and plants, there are lots of lovely vintage shops and stalls, cafes and ceramics shops, but I wasn't really looking to buy anything other than plants.


Having said this I did buy a couple of pots on the market. They were a steal at £3 each, so I bought two. They are perfect for herbs or orchids as they have a small lip that the plant pot sits on, that prevents them standing in water. Bargain.


Plant wise, OH bought me some more pelargoniums as mine had all died off over the winter. I'd had them a good few years. Many people don't like them, but you get so many flowers for your money and they just keep flowering for months/years. I love them for adding a bit of colour to the garden. I immediately potted them up into a slightly bigger pot and put them in these hanging metal plant trays that our neighbour put out on the street a while ago. I think they look pretty and were so inexpensive at 4 plants for £7. I chose salmon and white.


We also bought two ferns for £10. They aren't huge, but will be useful for the end of the garden. I planted one out straight away to fill a gap and the other one I put in a bigger pot and it will be planted in the ground when we finish adding more pavers. I will probably need to return and buy more to complete this end of the garden, but it will have to be when I've got some spare cash.



When we got home, I did a bit of pottering in the garden, picked some lettuce, sowed some seeds, transplanted a few plants. I'm getting back into my garden again and it's lovely. I've neglected it for way too long and given all my energy to work, it was a misjudgement on my part.

I also found my small solar water fountain again. I'd been looking for it for a while, but it was at the back of a kitchen cupboard. I straight away filled the planter I always use for it and got it going in the sunshine. OH hates it, because he thinks it makes a mess, but it's only water and the sun soon dries it up. I like to see a bit of movement in the garden, besides it's calming. 


After getting up so early on Sunday morning, I had a little nap on Sunday afternoon, read a little, did a bit of sewing and started making another suncatcher with some glass beads which was all very relaxing.

On Bank Holiday Monday, OH was out cycling again, so I needed to get up and get out with the dog. We had a nice walk and then when I got home, I headed out again to do the weekly shop. I needed to claim a couple of free items before the vouchers for them ran out, so I went to our local Lidl. It was quite busy for a Bank Holiday, but I managed to get my shopping done and get out and back home, so that I could spend the afternoon relaxing.

In the evening, we watched the final episode of the final series of Succession. We now need to look for something new to watch in the evenings, as we've now finished both of the series we've been watching over the last couple of months. Any suggestions would be welcome.

It was a relaxing, stay at home kind of Bank Holiday weekend for us. I hope you had a good one.


2 comments:

  1. Ah, it was nice to come along to Columbia Road with you- I've never been but did a school placement near it. You did well on the two pots and I love the ones your neighbours were getting rid of! It's so nice to hear you getting back into the garden again. Your OH did a lot of cycling. Mine's not done so much recently!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to look for another small fountain for the deck or the patio. I find myself missing the sound of water.

    The garden looks lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete